Aqua C hang on skimmer - question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cliffscorals

For my 50 gal, I have the Aqua C hang on Pskimmer with the maxi jet 1200. It works well but occassionaly (like recently) it starts foaming up like crazy and my cup fills up very quickly. The liquid in the collection cup is not all that dirty - only slightly tinted but I would rather not have it going back into the aquarium because the collection cup is full. I noticed that they have a collection cup with a drain fitting (1/2in?) but I am wondering if this will fit in the regular Aqua C, like mine, which doesn't have the open slit on the side. I believe that it would fit but that the collection cup with the drain fitting would sit up very high in the protein skimmer (since I don't have the slit). Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff if your remora does not have the slit in it the collection cup it will definately sit very high in the skimmer. You can probably do the mod yourself. The fitting you can get at Home Depot. Drill the hole in the collection cup and screw in the fitting. The skimmer you would probably have to use a dremmel or router to cut the slit in the acrylic. If you want to see some pictures let me know. I have one with the mod sitting around somewhere.

Good Luck
Brian

what is the fitting?

mungus said:
Cliff if your remora does not have the slit in it the collection cup it will definately sit very high in the skimmer. You can probably do the mod yourself. The fitting you can get at Home Depot. Drill the hole in the collection cup and screw in the fitting. The skimmer you would probably have to use a dremmel or router to cut the slit in the acrylic. If you want to see some pictures let me know. I have one with the mod sitting around somewhere.

Good Luck
Brian

Would you provide more detail on the fitting? It looks like an elbow with a barbed end. How does it seal to prevent leakage from the collection cup?

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff

The fitting is a 90 elbow. I believe it is 1/2". The one end is threaded (male)and the other end has a small barb. It is sealed by using teflon tape. It looks like you would have to tap a few threads into the collection cup.

Back