Aqua C Remora drain mod?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

Has anyone ever had to install a drain on their Aqua C Remora skimmer or heard of anyone that has done it?

I have the HOB Remora without a drain on the collection cup. In the past, this skimmer has work great for me. Just recently, with the addition of a fish, it started producing A LOT of skimmate. So much in fact, that I have to empty the collection cup almost daily. This has led me to seek out retrofitting the collection cup with a drain so I don't have to empty it all the time and risk it overflowing.

I don't know if it's possible to do a mod like this. I am thinking it requires me to basically drill a hole, install a small pvc drain, and maybe cut out a little of the protein skimmer's body to fit the new drain piece down into the main body.

Suggestions?

TIA

The minimal drilling and cutting the better. Often simplified as the tubing shoved into a smaller diameter hole than it's own diameter. Gravity fed into any collecter bottle. Many use an old gallon bottle with a hole in the screw on lid.

Is the collected skimmate yellow water or dark brown sludge?

yes, it's a semi clear yellow liquid...not a sludge. I was simply asking what the semi yellow liquid means instead of the sludge.

I'm going to try to lift the collection cup up a half inch to see if that gives me a darker sludge.

that's what the rubber band around the collection cup is for. raise the cup you get darker skimmate

that's what the rubber band around the collection cup is for. raise the cup you get darker skimmate

that's not going to reduce the amout of dissolved organics the skimmer picks up though right? It's just a more concentrated skimmate is that right? Just worried about lifting the collection cup to high and then not skimming enough.

TIA

that's not going to reduce the amout of dissolved organics the skimmer picks up though right? It's just a more concentrated skimmate is that right? Just worried about lifting the collection cup to high and then not skimming enough.

TIA
Yes that's correct. The skimmate is more concentrated.
The rubberband lets you dial in the consistancy of skimmate you desire. If you skim "wet" as you appear to be. Keep an eye on salinity so you don't lower it with your top off water.
Scott:)

Back