AquaC EV 180 Skimmer Problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roverrange

I purchased an AquaC EV-180 with high expectations. I bought it for its small size in relation to rated output, its ability to operate in a sump where the water level is 8 inches, and its ease of breaking in. One reviewer said that he had it producing skimmate in half an hour.

The size is as advertized. It is truly compact.

From the bottom of the skimmer to the bottom of the water outlet is 8 inches, so that is correct.

I can only speak from my experience setting up the AquaC-180, but I have found it extremely difficult to break in.

First the directions said to "Slowly close the gate valve one-half turn at a time until the water level rises within 1/2" of the internal platform." I am dead out of the gate here because even without closing the gate valve at all, the water level is at the height of the internal platform. The directions further say that in this case, you should add a ball valve to throttle back the water flow. At this point I think to myself, why am I paying big buck for this skimmer/ motor package?

So I call AquaC and relate the problem with the water height in the skimmer. They say that my water height is actually all right and they should probably change the instructions to that effect. I also ask what the instruction "Do not raise the water level inside the skimmer more that 1" above the water line show in figure 5 means" I think "inside the skimmer" means the skimmer tower, but he says it means the skimmer body. After much back and forth, we agree that we are speaking of the same thing. I can tell you AquaC, that most of us consumers call the tall cylindrical object attached to the skimmer box a tower, and the directions should be more clear on this point. In describing where the water level should be in the tower, the AquaC rep said it should rise in the tower to the same height as the top of the box. If that is the case, why don't the directions say that?

So I am back to trying to produce foam. If anybody has any advice on this skimmer I would appreciate it.

It sounds like the customer service was willing to help you figure out what was going on with the skimmer. How long has the skimmer been on the tank now? I'd give it a couple of weeks if it hasn't been that long, yet.

Oops...I forgot:

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Welcome to RF! I have the AquaC EV-120 and I'd say it took about a day to break in. I've noticed that my gate valve is very sensitive and if I turn it a little too much, I'd overflow my collection cup as well as a half gal jug I use in a few hours. Some skimmers take longer to break in than others and also, how the pump is set up in relation to the skimmer affects it too. I have my skimmer setup externally and I have it drain back into my sump. As a test, I changed the vinyl hose I used for the return from my pump to my skimmer, to pvc, and the skimmer didn't work well at all. I'll look for a photo here of how I have mine set up so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. As for the skimmer, I like mine and figure you should give it a little more time to break in and operate properly. Don't let tech support discourage you. It hard to get good tech anywhere these days(LOL). I know Marc at Melev's reef has used AquaC skimmers for a long time and they should have given him the job as their tech support personnel. He helped me, maybe he can help you...I lookfor those pics...

Just run the level low for a few days and it will break in. Then you can fine tune it from there over a couple weeks. Don't be too hard on them, I am sure that you have a great skimmer there. Keep in mind that it is probably over rated by the company, and it is safe to half their recommendation as far has how many gallons it can handle. Euroreef are about the only ones that accurately rate their skimmers these days.

Back