• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

AquaCulture and the Future of the Hobby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
One of the major points driven home at MACNA XX was the fact that we must continue to be responsible about the way we act within this hobby. While collection for the hobby has a minimal effect on coral reefs the other factors are undeniably doing reefs harm. With politicians in Hawaii running on the shut collection of species "x" and "y" down ticket, Tonga recently shutting down live rock harvest, and the Banggai Cardinal population being drastically reduced by hobbyist collection, it is obvious that the hobby as a whole needs to move in a direction of self sustainability through aquaculture and mariculture. For it to really work large scale co-ops and aquaculture facilities must continue to develope but in the meantime we want to do what we can.

Barrier Reef has always sold as many captive bred fish, inverts, and corals as we possibly could. We grow many of our own corals, buy from farms and local hobbyists, as well as real mariculture facilities. The one place we feel we can grow is through buying more from local hobbyists. We are going to organize our local hobbyist supplier registry. Rather than waiting for customers to come to us and ask if we want frags we are going to keep a contact list with records of what frags each individual can produce. We will be proactive about contacting you when we need more of frags "a" or "b". Credit and cash prices, sizing, quantity will all be worked out through private conversations. We ask that any of you who would like to supply us with certain items on a regular basis please contact us with the following:

1. Name and Screen Name
2. Email or phone number
3. Species you could harvest semi-regularly and color.
4. Price per size and credit/cash preference you think is fair. Remember we usually give 25%-50% of retail depending on item. You are selling wholesale and we sell retail.
5. Pictures of species if possible.
6. Info about lighting you keep species under.

Thanks!

collection for the hobby has a minimal effect on coral reefs the other factors are undeniably doing reefs harm

i'm totally argree with this,,,from my experienced try to keep wild things alive unsucessfully in the the past and latly i 'm encounter with..no more wild things for me,,leave them alone in where they belong.

Great commentary, this is an ideal I have supported with my work for a long time. Many people may not be aware that one of the bottle necks to developing fish species for marine aquaculture is the need for high quality and small enough live feeds when the fish are in the larval stage.

I am currently developing several strains of copepods for marine fish breeders, and there is a great website that is devoted to fish breeders. It is www.marinebreeder.org

It has a ton of helpful advice on how to breed fish, as well as a classified section for trading.

Regards,

Dr. Rhodes

Here is a list of corals we would like aquacultured. This is not meant to imply that others are bad choices or that we would never buy them. These are animals that will get a good price and usually sell quickly.

1. Any Blue Zoanthids (especially Tubbs)
2. Aussie Acans/Micros/Favias
3. Ricordea Yumas in bright colors (we already have a good R. florida source)
4. Any of the newer ORA releases
5. PPE Zoanthids
6. Purple Death Zoanthids
7. Nuclear Green Palys
8. Any of the other high $$ zoas/palys
9. Watermelon and other rare bright colored echinos/chalices
10. Green Centered Clove or Daisy Polyp
11. Fiji/Tonga Yellow Leather Corals
12. Green Sinularia sp. Finger Leather
13. Green Nepthea sp.
14. Red Sea Pom Pom Xenia
15. Branch Euphyllia sp. (Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn) All Colors
16. Anything that is a Steve Tyree LE
17. Banggai Cardinals
18. All the hard to get Montiporas

Just take a look around at the popular online vendor sites and see what is getting top dollar. You can bet that any of these items would be great for resale once grown.

Items we currently have many sources for.

1. Silver Tip Xenia
2. Red Montipora Cap.
3. Purple Edge Green Cap.
4. Green Slimer
5. Oregon Tort
6. Green Star Polyp
7. Blue Millepora
8. Pink Millepora
9. Ricordea florida
10. Green Mushrooms
11. Red Mushrooms
12. Colt Coral
13. Kenya Tree Soft Coral
14. Rose Bubble Anemone (both types)
15. Blue Tip Green Slimer
16. Pocillopora sp.

Well said! Any person looking to get rich in this hobby selling frags is not aware of what is invovled in their production. What we need is a reputable retailer to market our products and they have just offered us this.

Back