aquacultured v. maricultured

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Technically-speaking, aquacultured coral is grown in a closed system, and maricultured coral is grown in an open system. The closed system is very much like a saltwater aquarium, but one that is highly specialized to promote the growth of whichever coral species is being cultured. The open system is generally the ocean, where the coral is cultured in a protected lagoon.

Where the distinction is made, maricultured coral is generally slightly less expensive than aquacultured coral because aquacultured coral is commonly, although sometimes erroneously, thought to be hardier and less prone to carrying diseases and parasites. The reason that aquacultured coral is considered hardier is because it is raised in captive conditions (e.g., artificial light, captive water conditions, etc,). Aquacultured coral therefore does not have to be acclimated to captive conditions in the same way that maricultured coral does. As such, aquacultured coral may make the transition into the hobbyist’s tank better, although they tend to be somewhat more expensive than maricultured corals.

Maricultured coral is virtually identical in all ways to wild coral with the benefit coming mostly from the reduction of wild caught pieces.

Heres a link with some info for ya.
http://fishinsects.suite101.com/article.cfm/maricultured_versus_aquacultured_aquarium_corals

But basically aquacultured coral is grown in a closed system, and maricultured coral is grown in an open system. The closed system is very much like a saltwater aquarium, but one that is highly specialized to promote the growth of whichever coral species is being cultured. The open system is generally the ocean, where the coral is cultured in a protected lagoon.

I think what is being referred to is where it was produced and grown. Mariculture is actually in the ocean probably in a protected area made to house the organism, and I think the aquaculture reference is for in a controlled tank environment. We have lots of mariculture going on in Pen Cove on Whidbey Island with muscles clams oysters and maybe some other things I don’t know about.

I buy both aquacultured and maricultured corals. Never had any issues with the maricultured corals.

Lots of folks that sell corals and that are based out of Florida are selling maricultured. I can name a few places that I've pruchased from the grow their corals in the oceans in the florida keys.

Cheers,
Alex

Back