AquaH2O Corner Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi and welcome to RF ! I can't help with your question, but wanted to say hi.
I'm from South Africa too ! Jo'burg though. :p

Don't know that tank in particular. A corner tank has several advantages: in a small apartment, it lets everyone see it, and it doesn't take up a whole precious wall. There was nothing in that corner anyway.
2) and when you have to catch a fish, you don't have to chase from one end to the other: it's all right there...
Downside: you have to climb a short ladder to get a good reach down into it.
2) and the stand has really limited space for a sump/refugium arrangement. I've managed a 52 with a ten gallon sump, and just got a 1 1/2 gallon Topfin plastic job to serve as a refugium. Topoff reservoir has to go into an adjacent cabinet.

the 2 biggest disadvantages I see with corners:

#1 lighting for a reef.
almost for sure would you have to do some retrofit kits because fixtures aren't made in corner shapes, and whatever you came up with wouldn't nicely fit on it, and would be a weird non-symmetrical setup that just begs to be hidden.
however you do it, it'll probably turn out like:
"a PC over here, a MH in the back center, a PC over there on the side, and then this small light up front" ~you get the idea

#2 unless you're buying them, making a canopy/stand for a corner can't be fun. Only way I'd ever get one, is with a tall canopy made by the tank manufacturer to hide all the stuff.

But they do look nice.

If you are looking for practical, you want anything with a 4ft legnth and a shape composed of straight lines.

I personally dont like deep tanks, as it wastes a bunch of light energy, and IMO its a PITA to dork around with corals and things when the tank is deeper than about 24".

If you are willing to spend some $$ and get a custom sump/fuge setup built to go under the tank, and do a very quality job on all the rear mounted fittings so it will (always hope) be trouble free on the back side, then I think it could be practical from a maintence POV. Likely going to require MH lighting to do the goofy shape, which depending on your location and application may require a chiller unit (or evaporation cooling means).

Depending on your reefkeeping method, if you choose one that involves algae growth on the glass, it can be a PITA to try to use a magnetic cleaner on curved glass. If the curve is large enough it seems to work fine though, so that may or may not be a problem.

IMO, corner tanks are thumbs down, however, if you are willing to spend the money and time to set them up to work, it can be just as good as a rectangle tank.

What's up Dog!:D Welcome to RF! I've never had a corner tank, but always love seeing things that aren't too common. I guess it will be all a matter of personal opinion and I don't see there possibly being any issues regarding quality. If it is something like an All-glass corner tank, then nothing to worry about otherwise they wouldn't be selling them as one of their products. You should be fine IMO...I wish you the best:)

Back