Aquamedic multi skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JFTMD

Please post opinions about Aqua medic multi skimmers and photos if possible

I'd pass on the aqua medic, they are ok, but there are much better options. How large of a tank are you looking to skim and what is your budget.

the 6 foot units do a good job with 3 pump import they do a good job plus are easy to put ozone on them, the only thing i would do is cover the skimmer in black plastic to stop coraline algea growing

why would u say they are so bad i havent seen many other 6 foot tall skimmers???

Wow skimmerwhisperer you seem to be in the minority other aquarists love the aquamedics and my friend has two multis which skim his 200 and 150 to beat the band and I might add at half the cost of the other so called high priced skimmers. This hobbyist has 25 yrs experience and while he may be old school he has tested alot of skimmers and states the aqumedic is reasonbly priced and easy to adjust and breaks in rather quickly!

Really by whose standards I have seen them run for years on tanks large and small and they all were doing well maybe we should not make blatant statements without taking in to account aquarist husbandry skills and even Alf Jacob Nilsen cautions about over skimming in his book! SO to each his own. I am impressed with the skimmer personally and see they are producing better then some other skimmers I have seen with much higher price tags. So there you have it!

look at it like this...people here in usa, in podunk towns, buy more berlin skimmers than anything else...does that make them good?? ...no

the six foot aquamedic skimmers with dual ocean runner 3500's are weak and sluggish, for the money they cost they are a complete waste.
i say this because your money would take you so much farther if you invested it in another skimmer.

by what standard am i judging these skimmers??
well, as a general rule of thumb, i like to have a skimmer that for sps tanks injects 500 lph of air for every 100g of display tank, for mixed tanks i'd say at least 300lph for every 100g. i also look at power consumption, design, build quality. it's not that the aqua medic is SO horrible, it's just that for the same money, you could probably get a skimmer that has twice the power and a better, more efficient design. also, the other thing i hate, if you plan on using the multi, is looking at that big nasty pump hanging in the tank, if it's in the sump, then it's not so bad.
and like like said, if you have a 55g, then it might be o.k. but again, if your buying it new, then there are too many other skimmers that are better for the same money.
take this skimmer for instance, 1200 lph air injection, @23 watts, $295
http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-extreme-160-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2199.html

and as far as alf nilsen warning about overskimming...
ring...ring...
the 90's called,
they want their methodology back.:)

Well you make some valid points but at least in my situation they are in the sump I had 150 and 200 Octopuses and did not find them to be a consistent performer and side buy side the 150 seemed to outskim the 200 so I presented it to a friend ;the Aquamedic conical cup gives a efficient skimate and other skimmers including a ASM, ETS, and Aqua C were too fincky for my tastes and since I am out of the house 4 of 7 days a week I can set it and forget it so again its what one prefers.

the skimmer i posted is an excellent, set and forget skimmer.
normal octopus skimmers are definately low performance, but the benifit of them is that you can spend 20 minutes mesh mod/mod venturi/boar out the pump outlet plumbing on them and have a great little skimmer for cheap.
the model i posted with the sicce psk2500 pump is one of the most efficient and inexpensive skimmers there is, and the build quality is good as well, better than other octopus skimmers. it also has a very small footprint and height requirements for sumps with limited room.

Really by whose standards I have seen them run for years on tanks large and small and they all were doing well maybe we should not make blatant statements without taking in to account aquarist husbandry skills and even Alf Jacob Nilsen cautions about over skimming in his book! SO to each his own. I am impressed with the skimmer personally and see they are producing better then some other skimmers I have seen with much higher price tags. So there you have it!

Blatent? Not really, just the truth. Overskimming is mostly just a myth. You could put the aquamedic on a 5g tank and it would not overskim it.

Back