Aquapod 12g Temperature

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hawker

Blenny
My first tank was a JBJ 12g that I bought already setup. The temperature always stay at 78 -79. I recently moved everything into a new Aquapod 12g. Now the temp is always 80-82. I removed the heater and shortened the amount of time the lights are on but it doesn't cool off much during the night and heats back up the next day. Propping the hood open helps but increases the evaporation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the temperature a little cooler? Thanks

Welcome to RF hawker. :)

I don't think 80-82 is a problem. The evaporation of the water is what is keeping the tank cooler. Some people rely on this to cool their tanks instead of buying an expensive chiller. I would keep the heater in there, it is connected to a thermostat to keep it from heating up the tank too much, and will save you from under-temping.

What kind of lights do you have? What is the temperature swing after you removed the heater? A 12 gal tank will reach equilibrium very quickly. If your temperature measurements are similar in the morning before the lights come on, and in the middle of the day, then your pumps are the major contributor to heat rather than your lights (in other words, the temperature is the same with or without them).

Thanks for the helpful information. Since I have only been keeping saltwater for a year (previously only freshwater) I was worried that it was getting to hot. I'm not as worried about it now.

The tank has two 27w CF lights. Removing the heater didn't seem to affect the temperature swing so I have put it back in (set to 78 - 79). The morning temp is 80 - 80.5 and gets to about 82.5 by the time the lights go out.

Yes, it is the standard canopy (no mods). A fan on the right side and an intake on the left side with venting slots over the lights. It is in my cubicle at work under a overhang so the air circulation may not be the best. I have order a small clip-on fan that I will be attaching to the shelf to move the air some.

Back