Aquarium level enough?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

teds

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on whether I should be concerned or not on the current "levelness" of my acrylic aquarium (60" long x 24" deep, 28" height). I've seen a number of threads at the various sites relating to this topics but nothing really definitive. Sooo, I figure I would ask…

Over this last weekend I moved the tank to its final resting place on an in-wall stand. Although the stand is built very strong, in my haste to complete the move I failed to check that the stand was completely level. So in the end it appears that the tank is about and 1/8" - 3/16" off from right to left. I did use 3/4" foam between the aquarium and the 3/4" plywood, and it appears that the tank makes good contact with the foam in all places except a tiny bit of one corner to maybe a 1/32" extent. I’m considering using the floor jack and a 2x4 from my garage and attempting to raise and shim the one side, but if this fails, I’m wondering if I need to be really concerned.

Thanks in advance,

Ted S.

well are you certain it is out of level? use a level to measure it. it could be some surrounding things (corner of a wall out of plumb) that is making it look out of level. i am sure 1/32 out of level is not the greatest deal but i would imagine anything over a 1/8 inch could be become dangerous.

Looking at the water level compared to the top rim of the tank is a good gauge as well as a level. I had this same problem. After discussion about it, I ended up bringing up my water change buckets, syphoning water from the tank to some buckets, then lifting and shimming the tank before putting the water back in.

Fortunately I figured this out before there was much stuff in my tank (besides a good amount of live rock.)

I had multiple people to help me out. 4 people, 2 lifting the tank, one checking level, and 1 inserting shims.

I think if its off over an eighth, it puts stress on the side glass in a way that it isn't designed to handle. So, I'd guess that it will make the seals break sooner than if it was level. I decided to level it for piece of mind.

Not sure if that helps you or not, but I'd say if you can get a team of people to help you out, or you can figure out a way to get a jack attached to the stand to raise it, it might be the best option.

well are you certain it is out of level? use a level to measure it. it could be some surrounding things (corner of a wall out of plumb) that is making it look out of level. i am sure 1/32 out of level is not the greatest deal but i would imagine anything over a 1/8 inch could be become dangerous.

thanks for the reply, yeah based on the water height compared right to left it appears off. A "level" confirms..

Looking at the water level compared to the top rim of the tank is a good gauge as well as a level. I had this same problem. After discussion about it, I ended up bringing up my water change buckets, syphoning water from the tank to some buckets, then lifting and shimming the tank before putting the water back in.

Fortunately I figured this out before there was much stuff in my tank (besides a good amount of live rock.)

I had multiple people to help me out. 4 people, 2 lifting the tank, one checking level, and 1 inserting shims.

I think if its off over an eighth, it puts stress on the side glass in a way that it isn't designed to handle. So, I'd guess that it will make the seals break sooner than if it was level. I decided to level it for piece of mind.

Not sure if that helps you or not, but I'd say if you can get a team of people to help you out, or you can figure out a way to get a jack attached to the stand to raise it, it might be the best option.

Thanks, "piece of mind" is a problem and of course giant leaking mess if that is the result :(. The tank is acrylic which may buy a little in terms of flexibility, however it still makes me nervous for sure...

level it now or it is all you will think about every time you look at it. i speak from experience :)

level it now or it is all you will think about every time you look at it. i speak from experience :)

I know you are right:). However at this point since leveling it is pretty much tearing the whole #$!@*%! thing down again, I'll see how it weighs on my mind for a bit.

I measure about 1/8" or less with all of the flow off and the water settled. In fact, I threw the level on the old stand and it is a good 1/16"-1/8" off from center to the edge at certain points. The tank was on that stand for 5+ years! Call me crazy...

thanks,

Ted

you don't put shims between the tank and the stand, you shim the stand between it and the floor before you even set the tank on the stand:)
If the stand is level, the tank will be also and youa re good to go.

Yes Peppie but when all is said and done and the 6 foot level is telling me its good sometimes it's still off just a little that filling the tank with water will only tell you. At that point I was happy with the final position and did not want to have to pull it all apart again.

Not sure why you would have to pull anything apart.
Should be able to shim the stand. With water in or not. Is the stand sitting on a hard surface?

Its not a free standing stand. I cut a hole in the wall and framed it all out as part of the wall. To fix the little bit of level is not worth the time. You really can't tell anyway.

Sorry I remember reading that now. I am not sure if it would reprized the integrity of the tank or not.

Back