Aquarium stands opinions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Emerald525

So, I'm going to start a new 150 gallon tank project. I was thinking about using old fashioned wood and still may but a good friend of mine suggested a steel stand.

Has anyone used these? If so would you recommend it over wood?

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/11/01/steelaquariumstands/

The tank dimensions are 60 x 24 x 24. I'm thinking I probably won't go with a canopy but may.

I've seen quite a few people here with welded stands for heavy tanks with wood covering it, but can't say I've seen it the other way around with the steel over the wood as you suggested or was that a typo? :)

Hello Emerald525,
I really like that stand build you provided in the link. That stand and canopy is very well built.
If you were thinking of purchasing one from them you would be better off then with wood.
It will be lighter, stronger and easier to work in.

My 180 sits on a steel stand that I skinned with oak. The skin has doors on the front for simple access but if you've got a big job to do the skin slides straight off the front of the stand. With the skin removed you have unimpeded access and with the unions removed the sump slides out the right side. If I ever upgrade again I'll go the same route.

Prior to staining:

117.jpg

Skin removed:

045.jpg

I loved building my own wood stand, but my next one will be steel for sure. Probably steel and glass for a nice modern clean look.

My 180 sits on a steel stand that I skinned with oak. The skin has doors on the front for simple access but if you've got a big job to do the skin slides straight off the front of the stand. With the skin removed you have unimpeded access and with the unions removed the sump slides out the right side. If I ever upgrade again I'll go the same route.

Prior to staining:

117.jpg

Skin removed:

045.jpg

Great woodworking skills. It's always nice to see setups like this.

Can you just slide out the bottom so you can change sumps and get easy access to anything you want?

Prior to staining:

117.jpg

Skin removed:

045.jpg

Wow, what a great idea! That stand is amazing. I would have never thought to use a skin like that and you can't tell the difference. That was my big concern with steel was the look. I agree awesome woodworking skills! Wish you were closer to me!

So can anyone in the Portland, Washington area build something like the picture above? That is a freakin awesome stand!

I have previously built an all hardwood stand and canopy for a 250gal island tank and although gorgeous I did get frustrated a bit with the lack of access even though I designed for as much as possible. This time I went all steel with LineX truck bed liner coating. The beauty of this design is that it can be easily skinned in any material, traditional wood or more modern materials, or nothing at all. My sump is remotely located so I a have a clear space under mine. See set up pics (buried in first thread below) and finished shots with rimless tank and hanging LEDs (second thread). A good quality steel stand won't be cheap but I am glad I went this way. I have options along with all the access possible.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49629

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57991

Wow you guys are so incredibly talented! I am not handy this way at all! So what type of steel do you recommend? What type of treatment of the steel do you recommend. I think I have someone locally who can build it for me.

For treatment of the steel use the same material as they use for truck bed liners. You can have it professionally coated anywhere they do truck bed liners. I bought the material from GI Joes (no longer in business) and did it myself, a bit of a PITA, but it saved me a bit of money.

Here is my stand I am in the process of building. It is very sturdy and also very heavy.
stand.jpg

Clear Fabrications, Inc., has built many steel stands for reefers all around the greater Seattle area. Have been doing so since 2005. Check them out in the sponsor area. Jason

Has anyone got a quote from steelaquariumstands.com? I was wondering about this too for my new 180.

Back