aquascape advice please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
This pic is a month old, diatoms are gone now but the aquascape is the same. I would like to promote the growth of corals all over ( encrusting) the upright tonga branch but honestly have no clue of what corals with do that. encrusting monti? which ones? zoas? any suggestions or should I look at a different aquascape? I am really realizing not only the limits of my current design but a peninsula tank in general, so yeah, advice is much needed!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think: stardust or rainbow encrusting mont --see BR LFS.-- Zoanthids, star pollup (beware its use), encrusting sponges, Paly's. I have encountered some SPS that will encrust surfaces first before building extensions: Validia(Tri-color), Red Planet (Tabling Acro), Hydnopora, Porcillipora, Digitata, Chalice. Hope this helps.

If you are near seattle, I can hook you up with some star polyps. I'm not too far from barrier. Be careful though. They will spread, I would say keep them somewhat isolated, or just occassionally peel up the mat around the edges to keep it cut back. It will spread around.

I actually grow them on my overflow boxes, where they are really happy and can't go anywhere

thank you both. I will research all of your suggestions and see what combinations I will like. Currently I am still trying to get my system back to normal after adding that herbtana junk, then I will defintatley be going coral crazy!

Agree that rainbow monti is a great choice because I suspect the diffrent hights might show off the rainbow colors better.

Another one you might try are yellow polyps. I was told that they like to grow up and not down, so as long as you mount them at the peak of a rock, they don't really spread. I didn't totally trust that this was true, but after trying it I found they never spread beyond the peak I placed them on in my tank.

If it were me, id lay that taller piece out front down on the side and use that as one of my base rocks. The tonga rock i would break into some smaller pieces if need be and place those on the bottom as well....stack watever u have left on top of that! As for encrusting stuff....ive got a polliporas and some monti that are encrusting...

Back