Are these eggs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I woke up this morning and found what looked like white eggs all connected by something looking like a slimy string all over my 2 purple gorgonians (and nowhere else). Also, on one of the gorgonians, on the very tip of one of the ends, I've noticed something looking like a flower, had popped out which I've never seen before. It almost "acts" like a feather duster. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? I'm thinking maybe one of my snails layed some eggs, but found it weird that it was only on the two similar gorgonians in my tank and nowhere else and also, I have never seen any snails on any of them before.

Here's the flower looking thing that popped out one of the ends

The egg looking things

I am sorry I cannot help but I am wondering how big is the 'flower' thing?

Hmm...About 1.5 cm in diameter. Here's a full shot of the tank which is 24gal just for scale purposes. The purple gorgionians I am talking about are the 2 on the outer ends that look like fans:)

i don't know..they do appear to be eggs of some sort...i can't believe the tank cleared up already and looks normal again...i'm glad to see that!!!

Krish,

I'm glad your tank is looking good again.

My guess would be a hydroid and the eggs are part of the lifecycle of the hydroids. Once they turn into medusas (jellyfish), your skimmer will grab them if I'm correct on my guess.

Krish,

I'm glad your tank is looking good again.

My guess would be a hydroid and the eggs are part of the lifecycle of the hydroids. Once they turn into medusas (jellyfish), your skimmer will grab them if I'm correct on my guess.

Thanks Curt! I have a few hydroids over my glass now so you may be right I'll keep an eye out:)

i was curious so i googled gorgonian eggs and found this article
http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/softcor...06-016018.html
says some gorgonians hold their eggs in mucus pouchs on the outside of the mother colony, no pictures of the pouches though, it says this by the boldened external brooders

Thanks for the link! I guess time will tell. I'll keep an eye on them:)

I wonder what baby basket stars look like. Thats what popped into my head right off the bat. Probley hydroids like Curt the man said. LOL but thats what popped in my mind anyway. I am probley wrong though. If so its got to be the 100,000th time I have been wrong at least.

aahh dood you got me on that one because i have no clue

Shucks Gabbs :doubt: And I thought I could rely on you for the answers:p

I wonder what baby basket stars look like. Thats what popped into my head right off the bat. Probley hydroids like Curt the man said. LOL but thats what popped in my mind anyway. I am probley wrong though. If so its got to be the 100,000th time I have been wrong at least.

LOL! Well I always have these things on my glass from time to time so it may just be them :p

LOL! Well, whatever they are, they will be siphoned up tomorrow if they don't hatch tonight (if infact they are eggs) when I do my water change:D

That is a hydroid as Curt has stated. Not sure about the eggs. These "flowers" are often called Solitary Gorgonian Hydroids.

xro10824.jpg

Congrats! Looks to me like your gorgonians are reproducing.

LOL! If they were, they are gone now! I siphoned them out during my water change:oops:

That is a hydroid as Curt has stated. Not sure about the eggs. These "flowers" are often called Solitary Gorgonian Hydroids.

Thanks Boomer! I'll read up more on them:)

Hi Krish. Just curious, do you have an urchin?

Best,
Ilham

Hey Ilham!! No urchins here...Never wanted any:)

See Boomer knows what they are, I thought all he ever did was play with chemicals and blow stuff up. LOL

LOL!! Yeah, Boomer knows a few things about the saltwater hobby as well:p

Back