Are these guys spawning or group pooping??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes they are spawning. There are a few of us that have videoed this in our tanks. Freaked me put the first time I saw it too!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I can't believe I clicked on a link that said something about a group poop.:yuck:

Thanks guys lol it was a cool thing to watch in person! Wish I had something to record it with besides by phone but oh well.

My god, that's a lot of brittle stars, and big ones too! You're about to have some well fed corals. If you look closely when they spawn you can see the difference between males (cloudy white streams) and females (darker color, distinct particles).

Fun facts: brittle stars don't have an anus, so poop has to go back out through the mouth. Also, they keep their genital openings in their armpits.

I can't believe I clicked on a link that said something about a group poop.:yuck:

Peaked your interest didnt it Marty! LOL

My god, that's a lot of brittle stars, and big ones too! You're about to have some well fed corals. If you look closely when they spawn you can see the difference between males (cloudy white streams) and females (darker color, distinct particles).

Fun facts: brittle stars don't have an anus, so poop has to go back out through the mouth. Also, they keep their genital openings in their armpits.

TMI!!!!

That is amazing. Right place at right time. What are the odds??

Marty, would that be considered a "fecal attraction" ???

I've seen it a few times and got pics and vids. Pretty cool and somewhat gross at the same time. Skimmer went crazy too. Just imagine the thoughts I was having while pouring out a cup full of brittle baby batter.

"Fun" Fact? Interesting, but I don't know about fun. Glad I am not a brittle star, ewww!

"Fun" Fact? Interesting, but I don't know about fun. Glad I am not a brittle star, ewww!

Hah! There's a whole alien world going on inside our tanks, isn't there!
the-more-you-know-o.gif

holy cow! Brittle Star city! They are like a bunch of spiders! Ack! That would creep me out! Haha. Nice Tank!

LOL...just you wait. You probalby have these, and just dont realize is yet! They creeped me out at first too, but now I dont mind them. I still cant handle spiders!

LOL...just you wait. You probalby have these, and just dont realize is yet! They creeped me out at first too, but now I dont mind them. I still cant handle spiders!

Yes, I have found a few. I had quite a few at one time--like 8 or so that I could count at one time, but recently I've had some fluctuations in my nitrates, and I think I killed off most of them. That and the literally 100's of baby snails that covered my tank. It was wild!

Back