Are these lights ok?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bouzouki

Last edited:
This looks like the kalvin is gonna be like 5000 which means very yellow light, which algae looovess.
Also the price isn't that great. You get really good deals on here if you keep checking the for sale forum. Where are you located? I might have a spare DIY(not the nicest) 250 or 400w set up for you. works just as well as the normal ones you get, just not as pretty.

The second link is for a non HP Halide. And you can get a few different Kelvin options. I mean to have 2 150 halides above my tank for 200 dollars instead of 2 huge pc fixtures.

I don't know of anyone using High pressure Metal Halide bulb over their tank so I would suspect they wouldn't work. The ballast really scares me since all they say is "It uses a TOP NOTCH ballast". I would pass on it. A lot of people have used these http://www.aquatraders.com/48-216w-ho-t5-light-fixture-basic.aspx

and then replace the bulbs with something better.

If you are going to keep clams and you want MH I would go with a 250 watt, could be a little strong for the softies so you would have to keep them near the bottom. Most clams need a strong light. Which clams were you thinking of keeping?

I wouldn't waste money on those unless you really like a yellow looking tank. You'd be better off getting all new lamps over that, or save up a little more cash & get something better.

I agree with all the above; in lights and reflectors you generally get what you pay for! Non aquarium applications are pretty scary as are some cheap aquarium applications!

I would go with the aquatraders lights. Depending on how much of a budget you are on they have a few options even if you want halides. I would replace the balast when you get a chance though.

Now that I've made mistakes and learned more...

If I had to start all over again... I would buy reflector ($30)...the mogul screw in cap ($15)..Mogul Bulb 250w ($69-$99 depends on store). Ballast ($150) average price. And this is pretty budget. 14k bulb also covers the spectrums more broad.

Just to give you an idea on prices i listed them...

Pass on those lights, look for a used retrofit. It will cost you a bit more, not that much but perform much better.

Back