Are these the "bad" flatworms?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TWallace

I just noticed these today. They are tiny, about the size of head of a pen. I bought an acro frag and maxima clam yesterday, no other recent additions. These don't look like acro-eating flatworms or typical planaria to me. Also, none of my acros show any signs of damage.

I do have some Flatworm eXit and have already dosed the tank. I don't see very many of them, but I have plenty of saltwater on hand for a water change. I also have a phosban reactor and plenty of carbon ready to go.

flatworms1.jpg

flatworms2.jpg

Those appear to be the non-bad grey flatworms. They're also on the glass, which makes me feel even better about that assumption. IME, they're just algae grazers, and will wax and wane with biological changes in the tank. Personally, I'd not sweat it.

Don't worry about those. Here is an old thread with my experience: White Flatworms. Also, I don't believe these are the pod eating ones. I've seen them elsewhere, and they look different. I'd enjoy them for what they are, tank diversity. Mine are long gone, and I didn't do anything about them to make them disappear.

I had some that looked a lot like your pictures and they turned out to be Nassarius distortus (Super Tongan) snail babies. ONE made it to maturity. Do you have any snails in your tank?

Vicki

Actually I do have tongan nassarius snails that have been laying eggs for a couple months. I didn't think they'd reach maturity, that'd be great if they did.

I didn't/don't have any nassarius snails in my tank.

Back