Arg.. Is this aptasia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
I totally didn't see this thing when I bought the rock and thought I had picked off anything bad. Must of been withdrawn in a crevice or something. But I just want to make sure its aptasia before I send the little bugger into the firey depths of reef pest hell.

Anenome_3731.jpg

oh yea, thats some 'tasia. juice it quick before he spreads! IME it doesn't matter how much you inspect/clean a rock by hand, you will always have some sort of hitchhiker you don't want, namely some aptasia :p

oh yea, thats some 'tasia. juice it quick before he spreads! IME it doesn't matter how much you inspect/clean a rock by hand, you will always have some sort of hitchhiker you don't want, namely some aptasia :p

Ok, so my next question is, what should I use to get rid of it/them? I already see a couple babies off to the side of the main one. Argh. This is in a 6gal pico reef tank, that contains mushrooms, a couple little hermits, and a couple snails. Is Joes Juice good and/or safe for this application?

Is Joes Juice good and/or safe for this application?

Hi Brie, used per directions, Joe's juice is very safe and quite effective. If all you have is the pico, you could save some money and use a hypo, turkey baster, or any water squirter gadget that can hold boiling hot water. If real carefull to not hit a friendly, works awesome and it is free;)

Hi Brie, used per directions, Joe's juice is very safe and quite effective. If all you have is the pico, you could save some money and use a hypo, turkey baster, or any water squirter gadget that can hold boiling hot water. If real carefull to not hit a friendly, works awesome and it is free;)

Cool, so the hot water method really is effective? What if there are more little ones somewhere that I haven't seen? :shock: *looks paranoid*

Cool, so the hot water method really is effective?

They can hide but the can't run! A large hypo works very well. If you can get one with the long bent neck such as they use at the dentist, they work best. Allows you to shoot it right into their mouth or at least their burrow.

You'll find more as time goes on, get them too. Eventually they will all be gone.

They can hide but the can't run! A large hypo works very well. If you can get one with the long bent neck such as they use at the dentist, they work best. Allows you to shoot it right into their mouth or at least their burrow.

You'll find more as time goes on, get them too. Eventually they will all be gone.

Okie Doke, i'll give it a shot. :) Thanks Mike.

For anyone that wants to save some money....

Joes juice =

1 teaspoon- pickling lime/kalkwasser

2 tablespoons ro/di water

mix and microwave until it comes to a boil.

Walla....joes juice. I have no idea why boiling it makes them readily eat it instead of flinch like they do from straight kalk..........but it does.

When you use it shut off all flow and feed themn as much as they can take and then some. Then just watch that spot as Joes juice OR kalk foir that matter isnt 100% effective.....sometimes babies will come back but keep up on them and you will eventually win

Last edited:
Back