ASM G-2 skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oh, one thing I almost forgot, was adding another aquaclear will help you in terms of flow and removing waste via. mechanical filtration. As a source of biological filtration via the bacteria in your system, it will not help. I'm not sure how much your system depends on your bio-balls yet, but removing all of the bio-balls may affect the system a bit depending on like I said, your systems dependence on them. When I said I removed my bio-balls for 3 days, it didn't affect anything because I never had really anything in my tank beside a little bit of rock (about 20lbs). You may want to get some more input from some of the other members on this one, as I don't think having the bio-balls in a seperate container wet for 2 days will kill any of the bacteria, but I am not 100 % sure. I know the balls are usually exposed to water and oxygen and sitting in a stagnant container will not supply any oxygen so you might have to put a pump on it or something. In any event, I think you should get some more input from someone else more experienced than I am. I just wanted to add a few thoughts I had on the subject. Good luck.

if you have a pound per gallon of live rock i would dispose of the bio balls all together. make the colonies of bacteria in the live rock do the biological filtration, the colonies of bacteria on the bio balls are inferior and will lead to a build up of nitrate. the live rock can break the nitrate down into nitrogen gas which bubbles harmlessly out of the system.
im glad you were able to fit a g-2 in your 10g sump, that will be great!
definately pay the extra cash for the recirc. mod(and the water feed mod as well), and the gate valve mod, both of those will increase the stability of the skimmer. also, on the height of the water in the sump, you want just enough to keep the aspirating venturi submerged, the deeper the water the harder it is for the venturi to draw in air.

Thanks guys! I have not purchased the G-2 yet. Will purchase tonight via the internet. Will build my won gate valve system. I am not going to pay them $35.00 for soemthing I can build for $10.00. They give you all the measurements and stuff right on the internet.

Back