ASM Skimmer instructions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

I need some help operating my new/used asm g2 skimmer. I bought it used so it doens't have an instruction manual. I think these things are pretty much plug and play, but I put it in the sink, filled it up with tap water and plugged it in to see if it works ok. Well, the pump runs and everything but it wasn't making micro bubbles like a skimmer does. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do these not work in tap water?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I need some help operating my new/used asm g2 skimmer. I bought it used so it doens't have an instruction manual. I think these things are pretty much plug and play, but I put it in the sink, filled it up with tap water and plugged it in to see if it works ok. Well, the pump runs and everything but it wasn't making micro bubbles like a skimmer does. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do these not work in tap water?

Thanks!

The skimmers will work correctly in salt water. As long as the pump is running, you are probably ok. Good choice with the G2. I have a G3 and love it.

makes sense. ONe other question. How do you adjust this skimmer? Do you raise and lower the collection cup or to you raise and lower the return tube thing that has the sponge on it? Just want to make sure I get it so it's skimming correctly. I leave out of town monday for a week so i need to make sure it's running correctly before i head out of town.

i think i've got it. You can raise or lower the riser tube to adjust the water level in the skimmer. It's ideal to have the skimmer in an area of the sump that has a constant water level. Check and Check on both of those.

Here's the question I have. What water/foam level are you looking to get when you adjust the riser tube?

well, i'd say start out with the foam level near the bottom of the collection cup tube, and adjust it so that you get skimmate production every day, i'd say about 6-8 ounces.
also, if you can omit the elbow from between the pump and skimmer body, putting the pump outlet directly straight into the skimmer body you will have increased performance.
also, your venturi will pull more air if it is closer to the surface of the water, as opposed to being submerged several inches.

this thing is skimming the crap out of my tank! It pulled a lot of gunk out overnight. In fact, my corals look a bit perkier this morning.

I have a gs4 with the 5000 pump and it works like a champ I bought mine used from indoor for 30 bucks!!!!!!!!! I am not sure if they knew what it was or if they were just hooking up a long time customer with the best deal ever. I guess it pays to check things out every once in a while

I have a gs4 with the 5000 pump and it works like a champ I bought mine used from indoor for 30 bucks!!!!!!!!! I am not sure if they knew what it was or if they were just hooking up a long time customer with the best deal ever. I guess it pays to check things out every once in a while

geez, im even jealous of that steal!!!

Back