ASM Skimmer or EuroReef??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I recently sold my EuroReef ES5-3 because it was sitting around and I wasn't using it and also it was rated right at 90 which is what my tank is. SOOOO.... I am in the market for a different skimmer.... I was thinking about getting the EuroReef CS6-2plus which is rated for 125 gallons BUT I have heard a lot about ASM lately. I can get a skimmer from ASM that is rated for like 300 gallons for a little less than the CS6. Did I miss something when I was Skimmer shopping?? They are a tad more reasonable than EuroReef when it comes to the rating and size of the skimmer, but how do they compare (in y'alls opinions) to EuroReef?? Maybe if someone could give me pros and cons to each skimmer??? Are there any others out there that I should be considering?? Am I stressing over this too much? All I want is an awesome skimmer for my tank. I've tried reading the skimmer comparison threads, but like many others I go crosseyed reading it :cry: .... Thanks for any help!

Becky - see if this quote by Maxx/Nick on another thread helps out regarding ASM vs. ER and gallon ratings:

maxx said:
One thing to REALLY keep in mind is that many (MOST) skimmer manufacturers overrate their skimmer's capability. ASM and Euro-Reef are very similar in design, (Long story short...two guys started ER, one left and started ASM...ASM uses a less expensive acrylic and a slightly different neck union....thats the difference) but if you compare similar skimmers, (IE body diameter and pump) you will find a difference in ratings. For example:

ER CS6-2+....24 inches tall, 6 inch diameter body, powered by either Sedra 5000 or the Dolphin DP 1117, (ER uses both of these interchangably and refers to either one as the SP2.)* rated for a 125 gallon tank.
http://www.euro-reef.com/skimmers/all.html

ASM G-3....25 inches tall, 6.5 inch diameter body, powered by Sedra 5000, rated for 250 gallon tank.
http://www.globeaqua.com/asm.html

I seriously doubt that the extra 1/2 inch of width in diameter and 1 inch in height will double the ASM's capability over the ER.

I know that ER recently (last year or two) lowered the ratings of their skimmers, I suspect that ASM is using the old ER standards of ratings, and is a bit optimistic on their rating system. This is not a bash of ASM products, IMO ER cant necessarily be trusted either. Protein Skimmer ratings need be treated like Political promises on Election years.....not to be taken at face value.
IMO the best way to determine what your skimmer is really rated for is the flow rate through the skimmer itself...http://www.superskimmer.com/skimmer_math.htm
One thing to note about this link is that they goofed when they posted up the calculations to measure your skimmers capability...

as per the link. It should be

Total gallons filled (divided by) Seconds to fill (x) 3600 = Skimmers GPH flow rate

When shopping for a skimmer I asked about this because I had a limited space available for my skimmer to be placed in, and I wanted to get as close to 4 times an hour system turnover through my skimmer as possible.

Here is a link where Jeff Mecare states the Sedra 3500 pushes approximately 250 gallons per hour with air being sucked in to create bubbles, (this will slow down the flow rate significantly as the Sedra 3500 is rated for 350 GPH and delivers 250GPH when hooked to the skimmer)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=464777
Based on that info, my 75 gallons of total system volume is being processed by my skimmer 3.33 times an hour...not ideal but sufficient for now. I plan on purchasing a sedra 5000 in the future to bump that up to about 4 times an hour total turnover.

Hope this helps and isnt too confusing.

Nick

* I emailed Jeff Mecare of ER and asked him about the two pumps, This is the email he sent back to me:

euroreef wrote on 11/13/2004 05:37 PM:
It's ER terminology. We currently use two different suppliers for pumps so we use one "ER" part # so as not to confuse people.

-ER

Hope this helps a bit

Wow Nikki, That was really helpful! I guess I'll stick with my original EuroReef plan since that is what I started out with. I think I read somewhere that the EuroReefs are actually rated a bit lower than what they perform. Is that true?? So, the area in my sump where I can place a skimmer is 12" by 15". The EuroReef CS8-1 has a footprint of 11" by 13.5". I would really like the CS6-4, but am limited with a 28" stand. Would I be pushing it to put the 8-1 skimmer in there or would it work?? Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited:
Sounds like it should fit. What is the height of the 8-1, and what is the depth of water in the sump? I remember when planning out my sump area, the ER needed to be in a certain depth of water. I'll have to check the manual, or if you look online, it may be there. Anyway - one of the reasons I went with the 8-3 over the 8-4 was because I had to raise the height of the skimmer in the sump. My stand height is 36", and with the skimmer elevated to proper depth, the 8-4 would have been too tall. FWIW, the 8-1 should be fine for your tank. I wouldn't worry about overskimming, as IMO, I think that would be a difficult task. If I remember correctly, you have many fish in your stocking list, so you will want to have a good skimmer, especially if you are keeping SPS.

LOL Nikki...
When I first read Becky's question I was wondering where I could find the same post you quoted...

Becky,
In your 90 gallon tank with the stocking list you have...you want the largest freakin skimmer you can get. Things to consider with your set up...

You are wanting to keep several fish which need frequent feedings... these fish will produce ALOT of waste. Fish will produce more waste than mobile inverts...mobile inverts will produce more waste than non mobile inverts...

I dont think its possible to overskim a tank. If you stumble into a protein skimmer rated for a 1000 gallon tank at a great price...jump on it. A protein skimmer removes dissolved organics from the water column...I have never found anyone to prove that skimming can be overdone.

I have a 58 gallon tank with approximately 17 gallons in a sump for total system volume of 75 gallons. I have an ER CS6-2, (rated for 110 gallons), and will eventually be trying to upgrade that to a CS6-2+, (rated for 125 gallons) by purchasing a larger pump.. and frankly, I dont feel that's enough skimmer for my system.

When I first got back into this hobby, I didnt understand why everyone advocated buying the largest skimmer I could afford...now I do. If you want fish only or fish and soft corals, you can get away with a less efficeint skimmer...but if you even think you will try SPS in the future...spend the money once and buy the best one you can afford the first time..as opposed to buy it after you buy a less expensive model to get you through...

Nick

The CS8-1 Will work out just fine because if I remember it's only 20" tall and I have about 8 inches to play with in raising it. I want to buy the biggest skimmer I can stuff into the sump :) I have heard good things about EuroReef and like the fact that many people speak highly of these protien skimmers. Any reason for the EuroReef split?? Except for the type of acrylic that they're made of the ASM skimmers appear absolutely identical. Am I correct?

Beckmola24 said:
The CS8-1 Will work out just fine because if I remember it's only 20" tall and I have about 8 inches to play with in raising it. I want to buy the biggest skimmer I can stuff into the sump :) I have heard good things about EuroReef and like the fact that many people speak highly of these protien skimmers. Any reason for the EuroReef split?? Except for the type of acrylic that they're made of the ASM skimmers appear absolutely identical. Am I correct?

Hey Beck you are right about the skimmers being the same except for the type of acrylic. The ASME is using a less durable acrylic than euroreef but they are still pretty tuff you just can not toss them around the house :)

You don't have to have alot of clearance with either one because of the neck break down as long as you can get it under the stand the necks on both are twist and slide them out without lifting them.

I know you are limited in space in your sump, but the ASM G-4 is about the same size and little cheaper. I wounldn't put it on a 400gal system but like Maxx said you can't skim to much.

I don't think you will go wrong with either one both are great skimmers ASM will save you some money, but go with which one you are going to fill better in the morning with. :D

Good Luck
Dave

I have both skimmers, an Euro Reef cs61 and a ASM G2, I run them as twins...IME the G2 pulls out more skimate.....but then agen that could be becuase of its position ion the sump vr the Euro Reef....ither one will do a great job, Ill go with ASM for now on, it does just a good of job for less $$$$ IME.

Well, I've decided to go with the ASM G-4. It is a half inch more in diameter than the EuroReef CS8-2 so it will skim a little better since diameter plays a big role in skimming. It also only costs 345 compared to the CS8-3 costing 540. I need too many other things for the tank to reason out purchasing an almost identical skimmer for close to 200 bucks more :) But that's just my reasoning.

I would reason with that also Becky ($200), If I had a little more equipment I'd make one myself lol

Glad you decided on a skimmer, Becky. What pump does that model come with...is it the same? Curious because I really don't know. Also, for those following the thread for information gathering....I wanted to add that Euro-Reef's customer service was outstanding when I had a problem early on with my skimmer. Don't forget with all expensive equipment purchases....turn in your warranty cards!

it comes with the sedra 5000/ 500 gph pump at zero head with no air injection. I have the G-3 now. It kicks butt, on my little 75 gallon tank. G-4 has the same pump. Steve

The ASM-G4 comes with a Sedra 5000 (Same as the EuroReef). If anyone here is considering ASM skimmers, Darrin at Captivereefs.com appears to have the best pricing so far. He has the G4 for 350 and offers a 6% discount for Reef Frontiers members wich brings it down to 329. All the other sites have the skimmer for around 378. I've read a lot of great things about the ASM skimmers so I'll let everyone know if I'm happy with it once I get it :) HTH

I have that Mad Dog Skimmer on the way as of today, it was still in design but for me he made a few mods, I'll be testing it hopefully soon, also a knock off of the euro reef, 8" dia 1,000gph dolphin pump 1/4 cell cast not the cheap stuff(thicker than the ER), with a removable cup. More info soon, including photos etc

It’s obvious that tons of aquarists are using both these brands of skimmers and liking how well they work. But there’s that one phrase that a lot of people use when talking about these skimmers that I think maybe a little misleading to aquarists that are considering using one of these. That phrase is “set it and forget it”. I fully understand that this phrase is used to describe how easy these skimmers can be to set in order to obtain a certain desired type of skimmate, but I think it can easily be construed to make a person think that these skimmers are somewhat maintenance free. I believe these skimmers require just as much maintenance as any other skimmer and even maybe more so in my opinion, with the use of the sponge like material on the outflow pipe to reduce the amount of residual bubbles re-entering the water column. I also think that it’s fair to perceive that a certain percentage of the things that a skimmer usually takes out does still make it thru without being collected and then may possibly get trapped in this sponge allowing it to break down and decay even further. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t reducing the amount of likely places where detritus and the like can be trapped, one of the main goals that should be pursued? Maybe I’m over reacting on this, and these unit’s owners manual suggest cleaning the sponge periodically. It just seems a little counter productive.
Okay.... I’ll get down off my box. he he

No thats a good point Haole, (cracks me up typing that.....been awhile since I was called haole boy...). Maintenance on this skimmers isnt to br ignored. I find that my ER CS6-2 does best when I clean it twice a week.
When I say clean, I mean:

Empty the collection cup...rinse it out, scrub out all the funk and dry it before replacing it.
Remove and rinse the sponge until no more funk comes out when the sponge is squeezed and wrung out under running water.
Heat up RO/Di water in the microwave for 45 seconds, and then when the skimmer is fully assembled and running, let the pump suck up the warm RO water and clear out any salt creep building up in the venturi. This is easily done by sticking the little hose that connects to the air inlet for the pump into the cup of RO water. I've found the salt creep builds up in the venturi and can literally keep the venturi form sucking air...no bubbles means no skimmer....

Nick

Or you could install the gate valve mod and do away with the sponge completely. Also, I think ASM's are made from clear PVC. Can't swear to it, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
Steve

They are made of extruded acrylic which is cheaper than the cast acrylic that the Euro-Reefs are made of. The gate valve is another option like you mentioned, but it takes up more space in a sump.

Nick

Back