ASM Skimmer or EuroReef??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Setting it up externally makes it easier to clean, (Accessability) but takes up more space since its not in your sump.

Nick

Can someone elaborate more on the gate valve and setting it up externally??? I was going to ask about external setup of the ASM or EuroReef, but I didn't want to appear totally clueless if it wasn't possible :) My husband wanted me to get some type of external setup...... More info please :) TIA!

Scott's picture shows you one version of a gate valve mod that is installed on ER skimmers. The only place I know that sells them is http://h2otropicals.com which is ER's outlet store. Its part of ER but they dont really admit to it.

You could make one for a little less than they are selling it, but I dont know what is involved or how it would be done.

Nick

I will start a new thread when I get mine in, I got the in sump kit also.

If I could do it, I'd probably want threaded connections at some point to switch it either way, I do think I will stick with the external way because I'm also adding a fluidized reactor, rather large also so I'm going to build an addition to the stand I have, this will also house my auto top off set-up I already have outside my tank & stand, so it will turn out to be a rather large project, I guess I will end up getting a larger tank also to go with all this over sized equipment.:eek:
I'll make my 100g tank a hospital tank lol.

Nick, their site is being built and will reopen as an E-commerce site.... Anyways when you say I could build one myself does that mean I can just modify the ASM skimmer once I get it??? Is the skimmer better off in the sump if it's specifically built as an "in sump" model??

Yeah, you can modify the ASM afterwards....you're just adding a gate valve to the outflow with the intent of increasing the backpressure. This will increase the water level inside the skimmer, which will allow you to skim "wetter". Wet skimming removes more dissolved organic compounds, (DOC's for short) which are the impurities and pollutants in the tank...Some people prefer wet skimming, others dont.
It wont however reduce micro-bubbles unless you design it that way...and I dont know how to do that...
The fact that its designed in sump doesnt preclude it from being used out of the sump...you just need to modify it to work that way. You will need to modify the inlet, change the pump location, and modify the outflow.
Its a lot more work than just buying an out of sump skimmer in the first place IMO.
To be honest, the only reason I would make an in-sump skimmer, an out of sump skimmer, is because it didnt fit in the space I had.
But thats just me.

Nick

If you want an external skimmer, then I would purchase one made for that use. I don't know what happens to a Warranty if you change things to the skimmer. Does anyone know what ASM Warranty is?

Thanks for the pics Crab0000. Did you buy the kit from H20 Tropicals or just parts from the local HD/Lowes?

Nick

I bought a g4 about a month ago from a store on ebay. It was buy it now for 250 + 21.99 shipping. they are selling them for 345 now, though they were doing the same thing when I bought mine. It was drop shipped from their supplier. I had in in less than a week.. Seller is domesticfish they have sold them as low as 235. Excellent deal and they were responsive with emails too.

He is domesticfish maybe people could do a group buy and get a good price. He sold one for 235 buy it now after I bought mine.

Jim

Euroreef or ASM with flow through design

I read a post by the guys at Euroreef and they said that 3-4 x's per hour throught the skimmer is ideal, but that "1-2 x's per hour through the skimmer in a flow through (non-recirculating) design is best". Does this mean setting the skimmer up outside of the sump so some of the same water isn't pulled through twice as it may be in a sump? Any knowledge of how to set up the plumbing for a flow through design?

Tasmanian - I'm not sure about setting up the skimmer that way. Here's a bump for ya....

also wanted to Welcome you to Reef Frontiers!!!

Thanks! I think the design they were talking about may be actually the design of the skimmer itself. Can't quite tell from the rest of the posts, but that's a strong possibility.
I'm getting ready to upgrade my skimmer and am considering the Euroreef CS8-1....primarily because of height restrictions. Seems to be the best for the height (20") (rated at 135 gal). I have a 125 FOWLR that is turning into more soft corals than I had originally planned -mushrooms, polyps, tube worms, etc-They are just growing so I thought I 'd go with it!). I am getting ready to add a refugium for mangroves, etc. Do you think I'm pushing it with the CS8-1?

Back