ASM skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I got a G3 for my 75 a little more than a month ago. So far it is working great. Pulls out quite a bit of skimmate. I bought it from one of the boards sponsors Premium Aquatics. The service was good and the skimmer was shipped the same day that I bought it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the whole top part of the skimmer comes off when you remove the collection cup. My old POS skimmer I could leave on while cleaning the cup, but if I leave the ASM on, it bubbles over while the cup is off. Not a big deal at all. I would highly recommend the skimmer.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I wonder if there is a way to drill a hole and place a small fitting on the collection cup side to let the skimmate run out into a jug? I wouldn't want to ruin the collection cup.

Thanks again.

I have a G1X on my 75, I like it, only my collection cup comes off when I twist it off. Id go G2 or G3 on a 90...If I was thinking when I got my G1X I woulda gone with a G2 maybe if it would fit in my sump.

Ive serviced alot of tanks w/the g-series skimmer on them, not one Ive run into has had any problems. All around good skimmer.

I have a G3 and it skims well. I do have a few issues with it though. First you need to keep an eye on it, as it will need adjusting. When the neck gets coated with gunk you need to raise the water level a little with the riser tube to keep it skimming effectively. I would recommend getting the gate valve modification, makes adjusting much easier. Second, make sure the skimmer will be in an area of your sump that has a constant water level, if you have room to set it up in a separate sump, say a 10 gallon, that would help. If the level in the sump rises for any reason, it has the same effect on the skimmer as raising the riser tube, and may cause it to overflow. Neither of these issues are deal breakers IMO, just a heads up for you!

PK

Back