asternia stars and sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rothany

RF Premium Member
Darn asternia star! Ive been noticing some frags of my sps bleaching,I thought i was doing something wrong but finnaly found whats been going on.Those stars been sucking the life out of my frags :mad:

I'd also suggest that you look for other problems. It's highly unlikely that your Asterinas are harming your SPS corals. There's been a few suggestions that they'll mess with Zoanthids, though I've never witnessed it, with tons of Zoanthids and even more Asterinas in our tanks.

i have seen these little boys eat acros u cant tell me it wasnt eating my pocci cause when i peeled him off there was a nice trail of dead coral
i pull them out when ever i see them but they always turn up

Hello,
There are many different species most of which are algae eating. There are some that eat corals but it is quite rare here in the states. They (the coral eating ones) do not cause the corals to lose color but will leave a distinct line where the bright white coral skeleton is showing while across the line the tissue is healthy and has normal color. They will also not leave their food source until it is gone so you will see them camping out on the coral.

Cheers,
Kevin

From your guy's post seem like they are harmless.I just read elsewhere that they are bad and from me seeing that there was some on my sps got me thinking there bad.

i wouldnt trust them with poccis is all im say there polyops must be tasty

Back