ATI BM-250

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ntswift

mako shark
Just a quick few questions. I just got my BM 250 in today and was putting it together and was a little concerned on how it was set up. The collection cup just sits on the base with out any kind of seal or anything? Is this normal or am i missing something? Also, there are holes along the lid of the collection cup that look like screws would go there but on the collection cup itself there arent any places to screw into. What is up with that? Sorry, just never had a skimmer like this before. They've all been ETSS's. Thanks!

Matt

i got the 200 model and thats normal for no seal doesnt need to be one if its in sump. the holes in the lid are for oveflow if the cup fills up completly.

this is the one right
BM250_Sm.jpg

BTW this skimmer rocks.

Yeah thats it. Its already pulled 1 1/2 collection cups out since last night. Although last night i was still getting the water level right but since that its already filled half way up. Its doing way better than my old skimmer! The holes make sense but having no seal kinda throws me off because i can see it leaking from where a seal should be. But if thats they way its supposed to be then so be it! :) Thanks for the info!

Matt

5105633834_919128dd6d_z.jpg

Last edited:
you need to raise your skimmer like 2" and fill up the air silencer with cotton balls makes for a shaving cream style foam. thats house i run mine.

Some skimmers have seals on the cup mount and some do not. It just depends on the build. The Eshopps in sump skimmer I had did not have a seal and would leak down the body of the skimmer. The swc in sump skimmer I have does have a seal and does not leak. The holes in the cup lid are for the air to exhaust and if it starts to over suds it will some times spurt out the holes in the top but I think any skimmer could do that.

Yeah, it makes sense. It was just weird to see because neither of my ETSS's had holes in the top. Just screws to hold the top down with a drain off the side of the collection cup.

I think they all leak. I know mine does.

What impeller came with it?

mesh or pin wheel. What color?

I'm pretty sure mesh. It was saying something about measuring the mesh every month or so to make sure its within a certain amount. I assume they wouldnt send me those directions unless it came with mesh, then again you know what they say about assumptions...

I used the mesh mods for the first 2-3 years I have had mine. But as you will find out there can be startup issues with the sicce pumps and mesh.
You get the most air draw using the mesh.
Most of the time I just let the skimmer run, even during water changes, but every once in a while I did have to shut off the pumps.
I got tired of those issues and have tried different pin wheels.
The best IMO is the new pin wheel/reducer combo I got from Luke at reeffiltration.com

well, with the gridwheel, and the new venturi, and new volute, they are getting over 3000lph at only 35 watts out of a sicce psk 2500!!!!
i was pretty blown away to say the least...
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ATI-0305.html
now, how much more the gridwheel impeller alone will increase will depend upon what venturi you run, i notice the new style of ATI venturi is only like $20,
but then how much do the two increase the power without using the new ATI volute for the psk 2500 that you CANT buy seperately... so still some grey area, but suffice to say, it'll beat any mesh/pinwheel, and wont have start up issues... but im sure it doesnt do 3000lph without the new unidirectional volute...

oh also, yeah, even though the skimmer cup doesnt have a seal to it, it shouldnt really be leaking per se... it might "weep" a little... but not much if the water/bubble breaking point is right below the "seal"...wich it will be once the skimmer breaks in for a week or 2, you'll see.. you probably are just riding the water level higher because the skimmer isnt broken in yet.

Sweet! I'm still sold on it. Just waiting for payday! :) Awesome. I forgot about the break in period for new skimmers. lol...Its been a while since I bought a new one. The skimmer isnt leaking too bad around the seal. Just a little here and there. Obviously when it gets weight on it, the leaking stops. I'm not too worried about it. I was just making sure I wasnt missing any parts and pieces when I was setting it up. Thanks!

Last edited:
I go for wet skimate so my water level is high and I get alot of "weep".

I dont under stand this :confused:

What exactly is weep and what do you mean by keeping the water lever high? In the skimmer body? I run mine high and a little wet since its only 20g's

I dont under stand this :confused:

What exactly is weep and what do you mean by keeping the water lever high? In the skimmer body? I run mine high and a little wet since its only 20g's

I keep the water level higher in the skimmer body vs. lower. High=wetter skimate, lower=dryer skimate.

We are talking about a specific skimmer, the BM 250.
The cup and body are separate and there is no positive seal, so there can be some small amount of leaking at that joint as has been mentioned.

Back