ATI = Giesemann?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gordonious

Simple question is Giesemann the same thing as ATI?

Someone recommended to me that I use a couple of ATI bulbs at different color temps and I have seen some websites that make ATI and Giesemann seem like the same thing(possibly misplaced graffic) and others seem to keep them separate. I am about to order a quantity of bulbs and it makes it rough to find a good price when I can only find one website that sells ATI and a ton that sell ATI.

Jon

Quick answer is Yes they are two different german manufacturers.

Here is a quick reference list to keep the names and Kelvin rating straight.

ATi:
Sun Pro - daylight - 6000K
Aquablue Special - blue/daylight - 12000K
Blue Plus - blue/actinic - 20000K - 450n
Actinic Blue - actinic - 420n

GE:
Daylight - 6500K

Giesemann: PowerChrome
Midday Sun - 6000K
Aqua Blue Plus - 60%Blue/40%Daylight - 11000K
Actinic Plus - actinic/blue - 450n
Pure Actinic - actinic - 420n

UV Lighting:
AquaSun - daylight - 10000K
Actinic White - 50%daylight/50%actinc - 12000K
Super Actinic - actinic

Additional Notes and Observations:

• T5 Bulbs MUST use a reflector per bulb for optimum operation. In addition, weekly cleaning of bulbs/reflectors is necessary if water splash occurs.
• When upgrading to T5, ALWAYS acclimate corals over a minimum of 1 week to prevent bleaching. Iodine supplements also help.
• ATi bulbs seem to light end to end better. Where as Giesemann leave about a 1 ½ of black at both ends.
• Replace bulbs every 18 – 24 months if using standard ballast
• If using Ice Cap ballast, replace bulbs every 12 – 18 months
• Using Ice Cap ballast will over drive the bulbs producing more usable light.
• Significant reduction in heat (normal operation) over VHO lighting while producing higher PAR ratings.
• T5’s produce more PAR/sq in. than halides.
• Switching from halide to T5, corals might need to be moved around if they were use to a shade spot that is now lit up.
• For SPS tanks use more of the blue/actinic bulbs vs. straight actinic. For example, 4 bulb combo – 2 x Aquablue Special, 1 x Actinic Blue, 1 x Sun Pro
• For Soft /LPS tanks use more straight actinic. For example, 4 bulb combo – 2 x Aquablue Special, 2 x Actinic Blue. Swap a daylight bulb for one of the Aquablue Specials if you don’t like a lot of blue color.
• Tank depth vs. Number of Bulbs – 4 to 6 bulb fixture up to 18” depth, 6 to 8 bulb fixture 18 – 24” depth.
• Suggestions about purchasing – If doing retro kit, go with IC ballast and reflectors. If buying a light fixture, TEK 5 fixtures are extremely well made.

Awesome bit of info. Thank you very much. Just before you posted I called Reefgeek and was told they were the same company, but two years ago split.

One quick question I have left for you would be where to get reflectors. I already have an ice cap ballast and 4 reflectors and end cap sets.(I will be lighting two 40 breeder tanks, one SPS and one mix) I have a cheap source for a 660 ice cap and end caps, but the reflectors I am not sure where to order.

Thanks again for all the info seems I should have posted here a long time ago.
Jon

tike666,

Nicely answered! Where were you when I had to comb through multiple threads on RC, Zeovit for T5 answers!!! LOL

I think I am going to go with a 5 bulb set up for my mixed tank and 6 bulb for my SPS.

Mixed tank=
Two URI 10K AquaSun
One ATI 12000K Aquablue Special
One ATI Blue Plus
One ATI True Actinic 03

SPS tank=
One URI 10K AquaSun
Two ATI 12000K Aquablue Special
Two ATI Blue Plus
One ATI True Actinic 03

They will be close to each other so I will be able to put 2 bulbs from one tank and 2 bulbs from the other on the same ballast. Then I can slowly turn them on and off to create dusk, dawn, and midday effects. What do you think?

BTW it has been recommended to me that I PM a couple of people and ask what color bulbs to use specifically for the corals I was growing… I don’t know what corals I am going to be growing. I know I will have lots of xenia and mushrooms in the mixed, but I only own currently 2-3 SPS.

Jon

Not sure where to buy reflectors. i run a Tek t-5 4x 54 watt over my sps dominant 60 gallon. The bulbs i am currently running are 1-uvl aquasun, 2-ati aquablue and 1-ati blueplus. I change out my bulbs about every 18 months or when i see colors start to fade a bit.
hth!

willie

How high off the water should the T5s be mounted? Currently I am setting up three T5s over a 30g tank. Thanks.

Back