ATO(Auto Top Off)???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
I have never used one and know nothing about them except the use a float to measure when to turn on and off the pump. I want to know which ones are good and are not extremely expensive. Thanks.

thanks that was easy. :)

You are going to want to get one with 2 floats. I use one in my sump set to come on when the water is low, the second one is in the tank and is set to PREVENT the ATO from coming on if the tank level is high. So if the sump float should stick or malfunction, the second float in the tank keeps your ATO from pumping your entire batch of rodi water into your tank, preventing a over flow and possibly killing off your live stock. I use one from Reef Fanatic. Here is the one I use.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Fan...n_Units-Reef_Fanatics-RC1311-FIDPETPU-vi.html

Last edited:
I use a Spectrapure ATO and I like it a lot. It uses a pressure switch to activate a solenoid on the RO/DI and is very good at maintaining a constant level in my sump. I set it so that I have about 10" of water in the sump. I also put a float valve on the sump inlet as a backup. I don't like it when my sump level goes up or down because it affects the performance of my skimmer. One of the best decisions I ever made for my tank.

Mike

i also got mine from Ato.com...
never a problem.... the service was slow and almost painful but other wise good deal..

get a double float switch

i got one from ATO and i like it its simple and works well from what i can tell, the level in the sump has not changed. My tank goes through so much top off water and i dont even have a fan or cover on it. Its going through like almost 6g a day seems kinda high for a 75 to me at least. Tested salinity and its perfect so i know its not putting to much water in. Good thing i got a ro/di unit when i did the setup.

My one question is when i do get a fan because my temp is a little higher than i would like, should i put it on the disply under the lights aiming at the water of should i place it on the sump? Or both?

I have two 4
" fans blowing across the lights above the tank
AND a dual fan blowing directly one om sumps water surface.

myteemouse- the smallest i can find is a 6" fan and i was hoping for a 3-4 to fit under the lights were did you get yours? also do you know what brand they are?

Also do you point the fans towards the lights or water? I will be adding an acrylic shield to ensure the reflectors dont corrode and i know that will increase heat.

Back