Australian acanthastrea on ebay legal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Electrokate

Hi,
I got online looking for local sources of aquacultured coral on ebay and found a guy selling what he calls Australian imported acanthastrea (and other "rare" corals). My question is are there any legal issues with imported australian coral? I read the Borneman and Calfo articles on Reefkeeping.com and am feeling like further research is required. I would not at all mind finding coral like this but would prefer it to be aquacultured. And legal issue free. :)

Thanks,
Kate

Kate
Any corals exported out of Australia must be approved under our Heritage Act and CITES, The act is a Federal Govt Statute whilist the second is an international convention. If the seller has imported them to USA he would have all the required paperwork. If its someone who is selling them from Australia and can not provide the approvals, be very careful.

Poppie

Not sure which online vendor you were referring to but everytime I transship from Australia I get a little something like this on request.

GIAustraliaCITESDOCfor952.jpg

Nice looking stuff there, great photos too.

I don't know about if this ebayer has the papers but it sounds like it is possible this is legit.

It's interesting that Australia allows any coral out. The laws there on wildlife trading are very strict.
Kate

Last edited:
It is only recently that Australia has allowed export of certain corals and volume is controlled.
Our laws are so strict when it comes to native flora and fauna that fines etc are more than for some criminal acts.
Mind you since exports have been allowed we are not able to import corals from overseas without having approval from Cites, Customs and Quarantine.
Prices for our acans etc have gone through the roof a chunk about 3 x 3 inch will cost around A$60.00 .
They have now stopped colection of Elegance in the majority of Western Australia so their prices have also become prohibitith at around A$100 for a fist sized chunck.

Poppie

liveaquaria.com has been selling "aussie acans" for quite a while, as well as other "aussie" corals. Can't imagine DrFosterSmith would touch something that wasn't 100% legit with how big they are.

Back