auto feeder recommendations and issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tkmak

going on a vacation and was planning to have my lfs who does maintenance, come by every few days to take care of my aquarium.

bought a double barreled eheim auto feeder to feed the guys ( I feed a combo of frozen and pellets usually) pelleted food daily between lfs visits.

Trouble is, the eheim corkscrew mechanism gets stuck and the pellets impede their turning.

Anybody chime in on what they use or a recommendation?

Thanks

I am going on vacation soon as well, and was planning on using those slow disentegrating food cubes, I hadn't thought of an auto feeder, so I'll be watching this thread closely. If you have info on auto feeders, the best brands, most reliable, let us know!! Thanks!!

"I use an Eheim autofeeder and haven't had any issues with it so far. Maybe it has something to do with the particular pellets."

Same here !!

"I use an Eheim autofeeder and haven't had any issues with it so far. Maybe it has something to do with the particular pellets."

Same here !!

I am using 1mm pellets. The one barrel eheim doesn't use a corkscrew mechanism to eject the feed into the tank, but instead has a cement truck mixer like mechanism in that the whole barrel turns and falls out the end.

I think that may be my next move, but I would like to hear from somebody who is using it.

Thanks!

Man those things are expensive. I use an old rainbow lifeguard, electric no batteries & it runs like a timer & just pushes off the food. I probably should upgrade to something battery powered.
Thing is, If you take good care of your fish & they are healthy, while your gone a week, you really don't need to feed them too much, I go lightly because I'd rather not have an over fed tank while I'm away & the fish will be fine, to me less chances of problems the better, so don't try to over do it, keep it simple.

Back