Auto shutoff on RO - How to do it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hey gang,

So I have have an existing RO unit and I'm sick of accidentally leaving on all of the time only to have a nice pool/puddle of water nearby. You'd think I'd learn after about the 5th or 6th time...So, what do I do, I purchase what I think I need to fix up an auto shutoff, but I can't find any directions on how to get it to work and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I got the right stuff.

Here's what I have:

AUTO SHUT-OFF ¼" QUICK FITTING
AUTOSHUTOFFVALVE.jpg

PVC Mini Adjustable Float Valve With 1/4" OD Tubing Inlet
FLOATVALVE.jpg

Am I missing anything? and can anyone provide some directoin on how to hook this up correctly? thank you much,
Ben

Hey gang,

So I have have an existing RO unit and I'm sick of accidentally leaving on all of the time only to have a nice pool/puddle of water nearby. You'd think I'd learn after about the 5th or 6th time...So, what do I do, I purchase what I think I need to fix up an auto shutoff, but I can't find any directions on how to get it to work and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I got the right stuff.

Here's what I have:

AUTO SHUT-OFF ¼" QUICK FITTING
AUTOSHUTOFFVALVE.jpg

PVC Mini Adjustable Float Valve With 1/4" OD Tubing Inlet
FLOATVALVE.jpg

Am I missing anything? and can anyone provide some directoin on how to hook this up correctly? thank you much,
Ben

There used to be a good schematic on the filter guys site. Yes you have the right parts.

Don

thanks guys - I don't know how I missed those.. One follow up question I have is that the auto shut off part description on the website says

"$8.00 - AUTO SHUT-OFF ¼" QUICK FITTINGS

AUTO SHUT-OFF VALVE FOR RO/DI SYSTEM
REQUIRES A CHECK VALVE ON MEMBRANE
HOUSING AND SHUT-OFF VALVE (FLOAT VALVE)"

How do I know if I have a check valve on my membrane - what does that look like?

thanks guys - I don't know how I missed those.. One follow up question I have is that the auto shut off part description on the website says

"$8.00 - AUTO SHUT-OFF ¼" QUICK FITTINGS

AUTO SHUT-OFF VALVE FOR RO/DI SYSTEM
REQUIRES A CHECK VALVE ON MEMBRANE
HOUSING AND SHUT-OFF VALVE (FLOAT VALVE)"

How do I know if I have a check valve on my membrane - what does that look like?

Take the fitting off the membrane. Blow through it. If air flows only one direction its a check valve. If not you MUST get one.

Don

Take the fitting off the membrane. Blow through it. If air flows only one direction its a check valve. If not you MUST get one.

Don

will do. thanks much James and Don. I purchased the RO membrane from the filter guys and it's the 75 GPD Filmtec version. I figure it has to be the right type, right?

FILMTEC75GPD.jpg

will do. thanks much James and Don. I purchased the RO membrane from the filter guys and it's the 75 GPD Filmtec version. I figure it has to be the right type, right?

It will work as long as your flow restrictor is rated at 75gpd. FWIW that is a great membrane.

awesome. I got it all hooked up and it seems to be working correctly, but I want to make sure.

for some reason, I had convinced myself that the Drain water would stop flowing as soon as the float valve triggered. Is it the correct understanding that the drain water continues even when the fresh RO water stops? Do I just have to trip the float valve for longer until the drain water stops?

thanks for the info Don - I purchased on of their quality 75gallon flow restrictors, so I know I'm good on that end.

awesome. I got it all hooked up and it seems to be working correctly, but I want to make sure.

for some reason, I had convinced myself that the Drain water would stop flowing as soon as the float valve triggered. Is it the correct understanding that the drain water continues even when the fresh RO water stops? Do I just have to trip the float valve for longer until the drain water stops?

thanks for the info Don - I purchased on of their quality 75gallon flow restrictors, so I know I'm good on that end.

It takes a few seconds for the drain water to stop. Close the float valve and it should stop a few seconds later. ASV valves come in different pressure ranges from 60 to 90 percent. What you are waiting for is the pressure to build up to 60-90 of the line pressure before it shuts down the waste line. If it does not shut off there is a problem.

Don

If you have it connected correctly you might need to hold the float up a little longer for it to build enough pressure to shut it down completely. If not than something is wrong.

Once the output is stopped the valve should stop the drain also. If not you're just wasting water..

when i plug up the float valve, the drain pipe water acts like it is going to stop, but then it surges, then it acts like it is going to stop, then surges, etc..
any ideas what this means?

Ben,

You are welcome to swing by my house and see my setup; it includes an autoshut off setup the same as what you are doing.

Kirk

Sounds like it is either routed wrong, too low of pressure or more likely the auto shut off valve is faulty

what about too high pressure? I'm at about 60 last time I checked.

Ben,

You are welcome to swing by my house and see my setup; it includes an autoshut off setup the same as what you are doing.

Kirk

thanks kirk - I may take you up on that if I cna't figure this out.

Disconnect the float valve and put in a ball type valve then try it again. You looking for leaks. A tiny leak in the float valve will cause that. Of course check the hose routing.

Don

correction,water pressure is 40 vs 60.when it surgesI can actually hear a sound like air escaping so I'll try what youv'esuggested Donand report back if that doesn't do the trick.

Back