Auto Top-off System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Could also be that if from a holding tank it siphoned back some like mine would do before I added the break.

If its overfull the the float either hung up or the switch is burned. Unplug it until you figure out which one happened. Is this a single sensor ATO?

Don

I have it unplugged completely as I didn’t have time to mess with it last night, and it is a single sensor. I figure I will troubleshoot it tonight by either manually moving the sensor or taking water out cup by cup- observing what happens... What do you think?

Thanks a lot Don!

My hose is about 3-4 inches above the water line.

Thanks Scooterman!

Above each water line? If the water level in the resevoir is above the end of the hose, it will continue to siphon. Probably a stuck float switch which is why double float switches should be used.

I have it unplugged completely as I didn’t have time to mess with it last night, and it is a single sensor. I figure I will troubleshoot it tonight by either manually moving the sensor or taking water out cup by cup- observing what happens... What do you think?

Thanks a lot Don!

I think that if its not siphoning like Scooty suggested, you got lucky.:lol:

Single sensor ato's are a accident waiting to happen.:) I would not trust it ever again unless you replace at least the float or its somthing obvious like baby snails. You may not get luck next time.

Don

The float switch and the hose are in the return pump chamber. The hose is about 3-4" above the float switch/water level so there was no siphoning going on. My reservoir is only 1 gallon so if it were to continue to run it wouldn’t be good but at least my HW floors wouldn’t get a bath:)

If it’s not something simple I guess I will need to find another alternative for an ATO.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

The float switch and the hose are in the return pump chamber. The hose is about 3-4" above the float switch/water level so there was no siphoning going on.

Not necessarily true It can still siphon some before it breaks, Is your 1 gallon tank above all this or is it on the same level as the sump? You can test this by making it pump water a few seconds then stop it manually, see what happens, you may need to do it a good while as that is what happened to mine, it would take a while.

Are the optical float switches adjustable and do they just open and close a circuit like the mechanical ones? How reliable are they? Do anyone have a picture of one, so I can see if it mounts on my aquarium.

Not necessarily true It can still siphon some before it breaks, Is your 1 gallon tank above all this or is it on the same level as the sump? You can test this by making it pump water a few seconds then stop it manually, see what happens, you may need to do it a good while as that is what happened to mine, it would take a while.

My 1 gallon reservoir is about 4' under the tank inside of the stand. It’s weird because I can watch it for a few hours and everything works great! But when I wake up in the am it’s the same thing, the water is roughly a half inch or so over the switch. I can watch the water level in the sump move slightly up and down- its weird but the switch doesn’t kick on while im watching it.

I use the tsunami auto-top off, it uses a pressure sensor to measure the tank water level. It has worked stellar for me.

Are the optical float switches adjustable and do they just open and close a circuit like the mechanical ones? How reliable are they? Do anyone have a picture of one, so I can see if it mounts on my aquarium.

Here ya go.

I'm going to use them & somehow Incorporate that with a regular floater to do water level & may do another for dousing If not on a timed system, who knows with me, LOL!

Don Option #2 looks like a two wire unit, can you explain what you got with the three options?

Don Option #2 looks like a two wire unit, can you explain what you got with the three options?

No its 3 wire, you can just see the red wire if you make the pic bigger. Essentially they are all the same except for the way they mount. I'm going to put all the spec's on their pages as I get time. There are a few more options that I'll get put up later also.

Don

Ahh I see now, I like #1 because you can remove it from a mount easier from the looks of it.

yank it & get a new one, sounds like it is gone!

Thanks for your help Scooterman- I just ordered the TUNZE Osmolator today! It has been a pain manually topping off morning and night because I haven’t wanted to take a chance! This system has an optical sensor plus a back up float switch so I should be set, even with my slight water level fluxuation :)

Back