AutoTopOff & issue with the water level remaining stable

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mellowhead

I hope this won't be too long, but I have to explain the setup so you can offer help if possible. Basically my sump is an old standard 55 AGA. Water drains into the left side and feeds to the right side through a set of baffles and is returned to the tank. Pretty basic. The problem is the water level on the right side(return side) seems to change due to the last baffle filled with filter floss that is right before the the return pump section. It is this filter media that is causing the unstable water line. As the filter gets compacted or dirty, or anything at all for that matter, it will cause the return side water line to fall, even though NO water has evaporated.....now do you see my problem? The float switch will trip and start filling. It will stop when the water level returns, which it should, but if the filter gets budged or dirty the water level will fall again.:rolleyes: causing uneeded water to be pumped back into the tank. Some may say put the float valve in another comartment, but that wouldn't work either because as the water falls in the return compartment the water rises in the other, which would make the ATO think no water has evaporated. This would be a perfect system for my setup(right side is very very calm) if I can just find a better media purhaps that will catch all the remaining air bubbles and crap, but not get compacted and clogged like the filter floss, allowing the retun side water line to stable and not fall. What do some of you suggest? Need pics? Let me know as I am starting to get the itch for new Acro's and I cannot have the ATO not setup.

Thanks, MH

I hope this won't be too long, but I have to explain the setup so you can offer help if possible. Basically my sump is an old standard 55 AGA. Water drains into the left side and feeds to the right side through a set of baffles and is returned to the tank. Pretty basic. The problem is the water level on the right side(return side) seems to change due to the last baffle filled with filter floss that is right before the the return pump section. It is this filter media that is causing the unstable water line. As the filter gets compacted or dirty, or anything at all for that matter, it will cause the return side water line to fall, even though NO water has evaporated.....now do you see my problem? The float switch will trip and start filling. It will stop when the water level returns, which it should, but if the filter gets budged or dirty the water level will fall again.:rolleyes: causing uneeded water to be pumped back into the tank. Some may say put the float valve in another comartment, but that wouldn't work either because as the water falls in the return compartment the water rises in the other, which would make the ATO think no water has evaporated. This would be a perfect system for my setup(right side is very very calm) if I can just find a better media purhaps that will catch all the remaining air bubbles and crap, but not get compacted and clogged like the filter floss, allowing the retun side water line to stable and not fall. What do some of you suggest? Need pics? Let me know as I am starting to get the itch for new Acro's and I cannot have the ATO not setup.

Thanks, MH

The solution is simple really. Get rid of the floss its a nitrate factory anyways. If you feel the need for particle filtration then try a filter sock on the drain. That should solve your problem and prevent future nutrient issues.

Don

Mellow head,

Is it possible to put a filter sock on the input (where your water is feeding into your sump) then totally remove any filter floss in that last baffle section? I don't like using filter material of any type in my sump, because I just don't keep up on the almost daily maintenance that comes along with using those... but I do know some do. Removing that filter material from inbetween those baffles "should" eliminate the blockage for you, then your suction area will only need to handle evaporation as planned.

thanks!

Mellow head,

Is it possible to put a filter sock on the input (where your water is feeding into your sump) then totally remove any filter floss in that last baffle section? I don't like using filter material of any type in my sump, because I just don't keep up on the almost daily maintenance that comes along with using those... but I do know some do. Removing that filter material from inbetween those baffles "should" eliminate the blockage for you, then your suction area will only need to handle evaporation as planned.

Thanks, I knew you guys would say that:lol: I will have to remove, but am worried about the filter sock as I have never used one in worries that it may clog and my tank overflows:mad: But I am now seeing how many people are using them...so where can I order or make? About the floss, other than having to keep it clean, I rely on this for the air bubbles. I will have to see if the sock will work as good as I hear.

PS - this will keep Nitrates just as the floss......;)

Thanks, I knew you guys would say that:lol: I will have to remove, but am worried about the filter sock as I have never used one in worries that it may clog and my tank overflows:mad: But I am now seeing how many people are using them...so where can I order or make? About the floss, other than having to keep it clean, I rely on this for the air bubbles. I will have to see if the sock will work as good as I hear.

PS - this will keep Nitrates just as the floss......;)

You want the filter sock to sit in such a way that it will just overflow into the sump if it plugs. Any detritus collection area will eventually produce nitrates. Either way the socks and or floss need to be cleaned every day or so.

Don

Hi mellowhead: regarding your bubble issue, you mentioned that the water flows thru a set of baffles...are they configured to trap the bubbles, such as the following design:

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/a/sump_model_a.html

With the baffles set up like that, I don't get any bubbles past the baffles.

hth,
rob

No bubble trap, and a lot of flow can carry bubbles very far:( and I have 5 baffles...3 after the inlet and two before the return with skimmer in the middle. After thinking about it I may just reverse the flow in my sump so the water would go through 3 baffles instead of 2 before being returned. This will help some more due to my skimmer being in the middle and currently only goes through 2 of the 5 baffles. My eventual goal is to put the skimmer into the inlet compartment and then proceed through the 5 baffles.:cool:

Thanks, MH

Back