Available info on Pectinia paeonia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Coraline2020

My LFS has a small (2") frag of an unknown SPS I am interested in, but will not purchase until I can identify and ensure its care. After doing some research with a fellow reefer that was with me at the LFS, we have identified it as Pectinia paeonia from photos and descriptions in Julian Sprung's book and internet photos. The problem I have now is...Can I care for it properly?

I have read conficting information about its aggressiveness, lighting requirements, feeding, etc., so now I'm really confused! :confused: I am hoping someone has personal experience they could share regarding this beautiful animal. I will be happy to post tank specs and info if needed, just trying not to make this a novel (maybe just a novella!...LOL).

Thanks for any input you may have,

Liz

Hi Liz,
Pectinia species do best in moderate light and flow. They cannot defend against most corals so give plenty of space. They will often RTN if placed in too high light (250-400W halides) without proper acclimation. A very slow growing coral.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin...

Next question...what is considered Moderate light? (I think this coral is currently under 250+ MH approx 30" from light in shallow tank at LFS)...I currently have an Aquapod24 w/70W HQI...Tank is approx 20" deep with 2" sand bed...the placement I had in mind for this coral was center of tank (literally...middle both top to bottom, and front to back)...also, do they require additional, direct feeding (other than plankton foods already used)?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure have all info BEFORE deciding to purchase.

Thanks,
Liz

Hello Liz,
IME people who ask a lot of questions before purchase tend to be the most successful in keeping their specimens alive :)

Your placement should be fine but I would set it in the sand in the center for 4-5 days first just to be safe before moving it up to the desired location. It does not require special feeding.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks again for all your help...I feel much more confident about purchasing this little guy now...With any luck, the LFS will still have it :)...if not, then I am prepared for my next incounter with Pectinia...

Thanks again,
Liz

Back