AWWWWWW Tank Crash!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like some of your coral may be living. I would definently get the flow and temp back, Run the carbon and a good pad to remove some of the bigger particles. Sometimes the sps can start again at the base. The softies and the zoe's will matt and the re polyp. Don't give up hope yet :)

Don't trash anything until it is bare skeleton, you never know what'll come back.

When my tank crashed in October I separated corals into 3 different buckets/tanks depending on how badly they were doing, and the worst were just in a room-temp bucket with an air stone for several days. In that bucket a couple acans and a chalice just went from piles of mush back to recognizable corals and then responded to revive dips and are now back in my tank, taking mysis and growing.

Is it possible that there was a small power outage while you were gone or the power flickered causing the GFI to trip? All the digital clocks set to the correct time when you got back?

Really sorry you are going through this. Your pics made us drop our jaws.

Is it possible that there was a small power outage while you were gone or the power flickered causing the GFI to trip? All the digital clocks set to the correct time when you got back?

Really sorry you are going through this. Your pics made us drop our jaws.

I think this must be what happened. I think when the power came back everything tried to start at the same time and tripped the gfi. Power on every other circuit was still good as well as my computers were still running so I am still unsure though.

Anyway it sucks to come home and see an all white aquarium. I cant believe the candy cane coral made it. I dont even think it was even affected by the power going out. I would have thought it was the first to go. There are some hermits and nassarius snails that made it ok. One large turbo snail is hanging on too.

Anyway some zoos that were open yesterday are completely closed today so i think I will have to wait a while to see what will come back and what wont. I took a bunch of the 100% dead corals out.

Hey on the bright side I now have allot of real estate!

BTW...it's too late to save your tank now but for the future you might consider a controller that has net access. I can monitor mine 24/7 and get the info that you see below in my sig. When we went on vacation to Thailand last December I was able to check in on my tank every day. Also, if the controller loses power I get an email alert so I can call home and have someone check things out. Check out one of Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite systems with net. Not a lot of money for a whole lot of peace of mind.

Mike

I am all over one of these. Thanks for the info!

Im with boomer its not a total lost yet.... 110% water change, water to temp..

time.

salt water tanks take a beating (not that i endorse that)

It happened to me one time too. It was during the beginning stages of my tank though. Definitely depressing.

BTW...it's too late to save your tank now but for the future you might consider a controller that has net access. I can monitor mine 24/7 and get the info that you see below in my sig. When we went on vacation to Thailand last December I was able to check in on my tank every day. Also, if the controller loses power I get an email alert so I can call home and have someone check things out. Check out one of Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite systems with net. Not a lot of money for a whole lot of peace of mind.

Mike

I agree. We have an Apex and have just found that bad things seem to happen when we leave town last time the Calcium reactor effluent hose for some odd reason fell out of the sump and dumped in the tank and the ATO kicked in to drop the salinity. Lost a few sps but that was all because we always have people check the tanks when we are gone and our friends caught the problem and called us before any big damage could be done. We don't have a salinity reader.

My brother usually watches the tanks but he does not know much about the saltwater hobby so we always have fellow loyal reefers check on the tanks at least a few times. We always give out keys in case something really goes haywire.

Alki, really really sorry to hear about your loss. It always pains me to hear about precious corals and fish dieing. I really feel your pain as I have experienced it fortunately only in a minor form.

This is a good reminder to all that there are fellow reefers out there who are always willing to check on your tank when you are out of town.

Here is a before and after pic. It seems the die off has stopped and what didnt completely die is starting to recover.

Im picking up a new stand for a 120 gal tomorrow. Perfect time for an upgrade!

Attachments

• IMG_20101028_193857.jpg
    IMG_20101028_193857.jpg
    84.9 KB
  • IMG_20101203_192352.jpg
    IMG_20101203_192352.jpg
    68.6 KB
Oh I love this pic too. Its when I was able to restore power to the skimmer. The water was so bad that the air bubbles from the skimmer exit made the entire sump a skimmer for the night.

Attachments

• IMG_20101128_003636.jpg
    IMG_20101128_003636.jpg
    39.1 KB
DUDE sorry about all of this

I think I have that exact same coral the HUGE SPS/stag you had..
I could give you a huge chunk..
FREE it grows SUPER fast.

Aww bummers man....I read this and felt bad.....if there is anything I can do to help you as a sponsor on RF let me know....perhaps I can send you a few starter fish from Hawaii once your tank is recovered.....dont give up! It happens to the best of us. I once lost an entire shipment from Christmas Island....I felt so helpless watching $1500 worth of fish die one at a time till I had a total loss.... I know how you feel bro..........aloha Les @ WPH

Back