Baby Bengais get a new home

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fragman

My Bengai cardinals had seven babies on Christmas Eve. Today they are 17 days old and have trippled in size. Hey they are still small enough that Baby Brine shrimp is about the only food that I can get them to eat. Until today thay called my overflow chamber home. I lost one on day one through the overflow pipe before I got it adequately screened off. The remaining six have thrived. Today I set up an Eclipse 12 with some live rock a couple of corals and the Fake Pincushin Urchin that I made out of black cocktail straws. Don't laugh they love the thing. I hope to introduce about 25 Percula Clown babies that were hatched out a day before the bengais and are now 18 days old. I'm going to wait until they get quite a bit larger, probably another 2 to 3 weeks. So here are a few pictures of the Bengais in the Nursery. You have to look closely on the Tank Pictures but they are there. :D

Paul

I'll let mom and dad do the breeding

I will just rescue the babies and try and give them a good home. If I'm up to my neck in babies in six months I'll be looking for good homes from the rest of you.

Paul

They are so precious! Hope they like their new home.
So, is this the ONLY tank 'in' your house? :D

Vicki

I seen them a few days ago. We were looking at one of pauls 15 beautiful coral/frag tanks in his garage and he say's hay want to see my new tank, " sure". I was grabbing for a screwdriver and going to snap me off some coral. We went inside and I was expecting to see a 180 gal or bigger. Was I surprised.
They are so cool. I may need to get some.

Tracy:

You got it man. I'll hook you up with a couple. However I'm going to train them to use small little screw drivers and just how to twist off and break great big SPS frags. I haven't quite worked out how they are going to notify me of their progress. Perhaps someone will invent tiny "nano" underwater cell phones??? When I get that figured out they will be my little "Sleeper Agents".

MOOOHOOOHOOO HAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA! (Evil Laugh)

Paul

7 Weeks Old New Tank shots

The Baby Bengais are about 7 weeks old now and about the size of a nickle. I lost 3 to a predator, a small signal blenny. He is now in a "timeout" residing elsewhere. This 12 gallon Nano has been a blast. I have 11 fish, 4 shrimp and a bunch of corals. I'll bet that all of the fish combined don't weigh as much as one 2" Yellow tang. Pictured in the following 5 shots are 10 of the 11 Fish. The Red Nano Goby is hiding inside the heater where he lives. How many can you find in the pictures?

2 ea. Yashe Hashe Gobies w/ Candy Cane Shrimp
Yellow Watchman w/ Tiger Pistol
Gold neon Goby
Red Firefish (largest fish in the tank)
yellow clown goby
Blue strip pipefish
Red nano Goby
3ea Baby Bengai Cardinals
2ea. Sexy Shrimp

Paul :)

well I found the three babies and the yellow clown not sure which is which on the others. That tank looks bigger now.

A Question and some new shots

The Bengai Parents Finally spawned again last Friday 2/29. Does anyone remember exactly how many days the gustation period is Bengai Cardinals??? I'd like to keep on top of this brood and have some baby cardinals for my local Reef Buddies.

These guys grow fast! The 12/24 babies that I have are about 1.5 inches from nose to tail with a body about the size of a pinto bean. They are still extremely cute. At about 5 or 6 weeks old they became "not so picky eaters". Prior to that they wanted baby brine or this wonderful frozen product called "Prawn Roe". These little shrimp eggs are about the size of brine shrimp cysts and all the small fish go for them, Big Time!

I had to add a herbivore to mow down the green fuzz that has appeared on the bottom rock on the right. I have not been able to locate a TINY Hippo tang so I threw in a small Rabitfish. The picture below is on day one and the green stuff is still there. Today is day three and he has mowed down at least half of it. He is large enough that he scares the Yashe hashe gobies. You can see them barely coming out. Once the Rabit gets the job done I'm going to give him a pat on the back and put him back into a larger system and keep looking for the Tiny Hippo Tang.

:D

The Bengai Parents Finally spawned again last Friday 2/29. Does anyone remember exactly how many days the gustation period is Bengai Cardinals??? I'd like to keep on top of this brood and have some baby cardinals for my local Reef Buddies.

I had about a dozen spawns a few years back, and I believe it was 17 to 21 days.

Thanks Finn

Thats what I wanted to know. Last time Dad must have carried them completely hatched for a little while. All I know is that when I shinned the flashlight in his mouth and saw a pair of eyes looking back at me that was cool!

Back