back to back reefs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acrodesiac

So here are some pics of my new system after the move. I went from a 220g http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16630 with 180g sump, 50g fuge, and 180g frag tank to a modest pair of reefs. A 75g and a 55g sit back to back and share a common sump and filtration. The 75g is geared towards high light and current loving shallow species whereas the 55g is geared more towards lower depth corals. The 75g is lit with two 400w Radiums 20ks in spider reflectors powered by electronic ballasts, plus three 54w t-5s(2 actinic plus, 1 pure actinic). The 55g is lit by two 250w DE Pheonix 14k bulbs in Sunlight supply reef optix pendants powered by blue wave HQI ballasts, plus one 54w t-5 actinic plus. This system has two skimmers, the large skimmer is an Octopus RC that's 3 feet tall and is rated for 300g+, the smaller skimmer in the sump is a gro-tech rated for 150g+. For chemical filtration I use two phosban reactors, one for carbon and one for rowaphos. For mechanical filtration I use two large filter socks that I change and clean twice a week. Main return is from an Amp Master 3000 that feeds a Wavysea in the 75g, a sqwd in the 55g, and about 500gph of what's left to the 1/6 hp Pacific Coast chiller. The two sumps are 33g each, one is full of live rock (soon to become a fuge with DSB and Chaeto) and the other is berlin style. The very unfortunate thing about this system is that it will have to be torn down within 6 months or so because I will be moving again. The good news is that I will be buying a house and I will finally be able to keep a tank set up for more than 2 years:)

new pics

Here are some recent pics of my 75g tank. During my battle against Bryopsis I removed everything from the 55g and it now serves as a frag tank.

Very nice. I would have made one a fowlr to keep all the fish we love but can't keep in reefs.

Last edited:
i knew it was not just a rock when i bought it from you chris.
thanks for the good live rock you sold me. it's amazing to see how things come to life
when i brought it home.
and great work you have here. i'm greatful to have your rock in my tank now.
thanks again,

andy from tacoma

Back