Back-up generators for the winter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716

tava716
Good day all!
This coming winter will be my first with my 90 gallon saltwater tank. Here in Buffalo, NY we can expierience ice storms tht take out power lines. Any suggestions of what kind of battery operated generator I should be looking for that could supply power to my tank for a day or 2 if needed? Running 2 air pumps for skimmer, power filter, 2 heaters, return pump for sump and 2 light strips.

Thanks for the insight gang!

James

That is a lot of wattage for a battery type backup for 2 days. I think it may be more economicle to go with a gas or propane generator. I would to some investagating on how much power each of your items pull, and then go from there.

I don't think you will get 24 hours out of anything more than an air pump.

For the batteries you would need, you would be better off buying a gas generator - $500 bux new at Costco - And will run for 24 hours on about each 5g of gas and run your tank, fridge, and Tivo.

Dave B

If you go a google search for minuteman back ups they have a calculator that will tell you how many hours a ups will run a piece of equiptment for based on wattage. A tank in columbia I take care of has the return pump on a ups with a second battery. According to the man I talked to there he said it would run it for about 35 hours. It a big monster and I had to drill a hole in the concrete wall and put it in another room. It would fit under the stand and I didnt think it would like the humidity anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to do some calculations of how many watts I am pushing. Wrightme43, thanks for the calculation site on the internet! Ken, Dave, you both have a point....I do have alot of stuff running on the tank. the advise is and always will be appreciated. You guys Rock!!

James

Schucks auto/parts store has something on sale... 1400 watts generator for under $150.00 .... Brand is Champion Generator.

Is this a good deal? or no can do.

I live in northern British Columbia Canada in a rural area and know all about power outages that can last for days. I just went with the generator. I spent the extra $ and got a larger Honda that also runs extremely quiet and has an electric start. I think that when you live in a northern climate you have to figure out what you need to keep yourself and your tank going.

Ruth

to all close to or surround Redmond area,,i do have 2--750w invertors wired ready to hook up to your car battery at least it can run the pump and heater for med size tank,,to borrow,if you ran out the power this fall,,give me a call i will have it ready for you at the restaurant..

Last edited:
If you do decide that batteries are the way to go i would try to minimize the load on them. You can cut back to 1 or 2 small powerheads that are set to agitate the surface water for good gas exchange. I would also insulate the tank. you can use 1" or thicker styrofoam panels (from your local home depot or lumber yard) I cut it to fit across the back and sides and hold it on with masking tape (the blue painters kind). A space blanket ( the silver ones) can also be cut to fit between the glass and stryofoam. If you have an enclosed canopy it will help hold in the heat also if not use the space blanket. If it is really cold you can cover the front glass with stryofoam also. This will really help hold in the heat. The less your heaters run the longer the batteries will last. I would not worry about keeping the lights on either the tank should survive just fine in a couple days of darkness. funny how in this day and age we live in a simple power outage can really make life miserable. How did our forfathers do it? :idea:

Back