Backup power

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I discussed this topic with my lfs guy today who moderates here as well as a few other sites and he told me like was already mentioned...oxygenating the water is the top priority. Larger fish (over 8") can die in as little as 2 hrs without some O2 being added via a small powerhead. Also he said as far as temp goes...everything in the tank "should" be good down to about 60 degrees.

Best of luck to those already being hit...supposed to be here during the dead of night, but we're hoping (finger's crossed) that the Cascades will take a little punch out of the system.

Finn, at least the wife won't be upset over the light bill.
(Don't remind her that the generater burns gas):lol:
Though hope you get your power back soon...Really hope I don't lose mine, not holding my breath:doubt:

I have battery back up for a 50 watt heater and a Seio 620 for around 6 hours. Few weeks ago I lost power for around 13 hours:shock: I only had battery power for 6 hours I lost a couple hermit crabs.I got the battery backup for the tv and lights during power out before I had the tank.I also need to be home to turn it on. I would like to upgrade to a generator but $$ is a factor. Tonight I will wait out the storm with my fingers crossed. If the lights go out I hope I wake up to plug in the battery.
PS my battery is running on solar power.39 watt

sucks

i just lost my power for the second time today at this time look like it's gonna be for long time,,,now i am on generator,,is that suck,,
Jessie,how are you doing we are the sahalee resident thought we never lost power?

it was out here in Puyallup for about an hour and a half earlier, and now keeps going in and out...grrrrr I'd rather just have it out at this point......then I can just turn the generator on and go to sleep!! now I have to wait for it to go out...Good Luck everyone!!!!

I have a 6500w generator in the garage and a UPS on my return pump that will give me about 4 hours leeway.
Good luck to you guys without power right now, hope things work out!!!!! Keep us updated if you can.

My power was out from 10:30P.M. until 6:00 A.M. My 500 watt power inverter was strong enough to run My mag 18 return pump, 2) 500 watt heaters on the 120G. I ran my 75 watt heater and a maxijet 1200 with a venturi on the 30G. My poor truck ran from midnight until the power came on and I didnt sleep too well knowing my truck was in the driveway waiting to be driven away. I will buy a generator this weekend if there are any left. The things we do for our addiction. :)

Power has been out since 12:45 last night and we still have not addressed the issue of a "bigger" propane tank. So at 4:00 we ran out of propane but by 5:00 hubby was back home with 2 more of the 25 gal tanks which he hooks up in line. That should last us till early this evening.

I got up this morning and everything in the house is good except the big tank and it turned out that it was just a power strip had tripped so we are happy again.

Good luck to everybody. I sympathize with your stress.

Candy

Colleen contacted me this am. If anyone can spare room. Her and Scott could use some help. The power went out in Lynnwood on them. They have a lot of live stock that needs help. If anyone is close please contact her.

I just snagged a coleman 5000 w generator at the Home depot. Used it for about 4 hrs last night to run my heater and return only.

Colleen - sent you PM per Ed's memo above - I can probably help if you still need it.

If anyone knows or sees a generator for sale; let me know. I called Home Depot by us and they were out. As were the rentals.

Thanks Ben; great to be involved in the club with such wonderful helpfully members. (Making a note not to pick on Ben or David, who volunteered us tank space.. :))

Last edited:
hey Colleen, i just saw this because my internet was down until about 1 hour or less ago, if you still need somewhere to keep some stuff let me know :).

I'm not toooo worried about the temp at least in my softie tank.... it was down to 64 degress for apparently several days when i did my last water change and didnt turn the heater switch back on. NOTHING died. No fish; nothing. Our tanks are holding steady at 74 still so I feel the temp issue will be ok.

We have the airstones going; so am hoping for the best.

i know Scotts SPS is ticked; his huge deep red cap is turning lighter orange every hour.

Heading home so no more computer access.

Hey Colleen if you haven't left yet, I have an extra generator you can borrow if you want to come pick it up in Snohomish area. It's an older one that's not the most reliable but it still works. 5.5KW

Tom

I saw some generators for sale at the pawn shop around 160th and H 99.
I can't recall the name but had a pic of three guys who looks like gangsters on their sign.
The name was a play on Goodfellas like Pawnfellas or something like that.

Last edited:
I had the 10kw natural gas generator wired into my home. Damn tree fell on to the power lines and then onto the natural gas switching station. So no power, I bought a 5500 watt generator to run my tanks and home for $500.:evil:

Power is on! So we were without for just about 24 hours. The aquapod is 68 degrees; will wait and see whats what in the morning.

Hope everyone else gets their power soon.

We have two battery air pumps should anyone need to borrow them.

Back