Bacteria growth on SPS coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jason McK

Anthony, Was in Talking to Wendell Nunes form Ocean Aquatic in Vancouver. He had said you might be able to lend a had with my current issue.
First I'll post a pic of the Bacteria/Algae
DSCN1092Medium.jpg

You can see the Red Bacteria/Algae light side up on my yellow slimmer. This Red Bacteria/Algae will grow on any freshly cut SPS coral and a few pieces that are high in the tank closer to the light and in higher flow areas.

My Tank is running ZEOvit for over 18 months. with out any problems. It has lowered my nitrates to undetectable levels and Phosphates are at <0.003ppm. I have been struggling with Alk levels but believe I'm maintaining 8.0 DKH now.

One other point that could help. I had added a prop tank just before this started. The light spill from the MH in the prop tank caused a massive Red Bacteria/Algae bloom in my sump and ZEOreactor. I took the sump off line and scrubbed it out. I also scrapped the ZEOlith in my reactor and started fresh.

I speculate this error of allowing the light from the frag tank to create the Red Bacteria/Algae bloom is the cause of this bacteria, but I'm wondering if you would know of how I could resolve the current Red Bacteria/Algae from growing on cut SPS and otherwise health SPS colonies

Thank you
Jason McK

think I want to jump on this band wagon myself, but would like to make one suggestion, Could it possibly be that we need to update our lites? meaning it's time to buy new bulbs.

I had a outbreak of the green algae, it covered everything. I left my lights off for a day and it all disappeared.

-Dan

No I am not a Zeo user, so there's some other common denominator. My bulbs are less than 2 months old.

It started in my tank when I set up my phosphate reactor. It began growing in the tubing and eventually some of it made it's way to my tank.

I have it growing on a Stylophora frag. My tank has been setup for just over 6 months, and I have had problems getting my Nitrates under control (just got them under 10PPM), so I thought that my high Nitrate level might have been the issue.

Wavy Seas

Jason,

Sorry to jump off topic, but I wanted to ask, how do you like your Wavy Seas? I am in the process of setting up a 180 and originally wanted to do a closed loop, but lately I have been thinking about running Wavy Seas instead.

Thanks,

Wayne

Well cyano will grow where ever it has the right ingredients to grow, as in N or P. When you frag a sps you expose the skeleton, the skeleton of the sps will have P with in its matrix... so johnny on the spot. However in looking at the pic its beyond that as in its all the way up the branch. In looking at it I would say that the fraging probibly made the branch take a health hit and that direct flow might be taking a bit of a toll on it. Find something the shield the corals branches in the areas effected and see if that helps it grow back better. The zeo system tends to make the coral operate at less then normal energy, so sometimes they dont come back so easy.

Mike

I wonder if dipping the corals in a Two Little Fishies ReVive Coral Cleaner or SeaChem Reef Dip would help. Here's a cut and paste of the SeaChem Reef Dip product description.

SeaChem Reef Dipâ„¢ contains elemental iodine complexed to a protective slime coat for safely and gently disinfecting corals. It is effective against bacteria, fungus, and protozoans. It may be used prophylactically (without evidence of disease) or to remedy deseased specimens. It is safe to use with both stony and soft corals. It is also safe for anemones and polyps.

Has anyone ever used any of these products with any sucess or are these products a gimmick?

Just curious.

After a month, did you notice any growth covering back the area where there is algae. I have a friend that he assume such issue link to bulb. Main reason he say was that TN in only on areas where there is direct contact with the light source. He latter change the bulb and corals return back to normal. I'm not sure exactly how true since i have no real knowledge to judge what he say but it really works for him. Sometimes i wonder, what if the bulb spectrum shift due to problem batch? are we able to tell ? Furthermore, you mention that the light spill over to other area promoting algae. It really sounds like the bulb may have some issue.

Another possible reason will be due to flow stress or too much light on that particular area that growth stops and die. I ever bleach a coral before by extending my MH photoperiod. Areas where there is too much light exposed die off. That only applys to corals that is already stress (others are ok)

Just to chime in some alternative for your consideration.;)

Last edited:
Sorry I have not added to this tread.

I have fragged the infected coral. the tips of the fragged coral are growing normally and not being covered with the red bac/Algae. the pieces I fragged I placed in my prop tank with 1/2 with the bac/Algae side up and 1/2 with algae side down. the bac/Algae has died off on the frags with the bac/algae away from the light and it is exposed skeleton with no recovery as of yet. There has been no change to the frags with the Bac/Algae facing the light.

I'm beginning to also think it is a bulb issue. I will replace this bulb to see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input
Jason

Back