Bad luck comes in threes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My tank was custom made so they do not offer this that I have seen in "normal" tanks. Just think of it as a 24"x 24"x 10"(depth) tank molded directly onto my main tank. The " overflow teeth are slits routed into the acrylic between the main tank and the overflow tank. The overflow tank has 2-2" dorso stand pipes that I put around 2000 GPH through. There is no siphon to break etc. This setup works great because my tank is veiwable from 3 sides. The narrow end with the overflow sits into the wall. There are no obstructions it the tank at all. All my flow is controlled by cloosed loop/loc-line systems feeding the top and bottom of the tank. No powerheads, overflows, etc to clutter the tank.

Krish, it is hard to know the feeling when all you can lose is 20g.....lol j/k j/k....please don't send hate mail!!!!!

Ron,

I keep everything in my sump(75gal) the tubing was connected to the skimmer but came disconnected causing the water to shoot out of the sump because my skimmer sits so high. Keeping everything inside a sump is a very smart idea. I also picked up two leak alarms that i he set up next to my sump and nest to my stand. Man are those things loud. i hope i never have to use them but i know if i do it won't be nearly as bad as if i didn't.

Does anyone know if they sell gauges that can shut of your pumps if the water level gets to low?

You might be able to use a 2 sensor Auto-Top of device. Just reverse the shut off sensor. Under normal conditions it would be under the water and the pump would be on. once the water level got lower than that it would turn the pump off.

Would have to check the amperage these devices can handle but that might be a idea.

mess

Bummer Dude! This is a great hobby but when things go bad they go BAD! I was reading the DYI forum and read about an outlet for your sump pump. One float goes in the tank and one goes in the sump, if the sump gets too low or the tank too high it will shut if power to the sump pump. I haven't made one but the article definitely caught my eye. I'm thinking one of these days I'll have to get one. Does anyone have one of these outlets for there sump pump? If so how does it work? Oldsaint I hope that all your troubles are now behind you. :)

Brenden said:
I love mine. It was just attached poorly. Mine is actually part of the tank. It just like the reef-ready internal overflows but is made on the outside of the tank so it does not take up tank space. It is not the hang on type with the "U" tube.

That's kind of a cool idea, don't think I've seen one like this before. My tank is 6" out from the wall anyway thanks to my closed-loop plumbing. Maybe that's not quite wide enough though.

Well, too late now.

that is why i am considering not going w/ a closed loop on my new tank...i will probably go with seio's or tunze's

Somebody on here is selling two tunzes with magnets and i think a controller for 900. Seios will work to though.

Back