Balanophyllia, Dendrophyllia, or something else?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
I bought a colony of these a while back, and purchased them under the name of Balanophyllia. I've since then heard that Balanophyllia probably don't bud out in colonies like this, so they are probably dendros. Anybody know much about them?

Attachments

• DSCN2629.jpg
    DSCN2629.jpg
    32.9 KB
I have both dendros and balanos and yours are balanophyllias. Google them and it will show you that they r balanos.

I would say they are dendro's not sun coral (same species different color and dendro's don't need to be fed as much)
The color of the fleshy mouth below the tentacles tell me it's a dendro (just my theory I may be wrong)

they look balanos to me..:)i have dendros and balanos....i only feed them once-twice a week...but my balanos receded in the body only left now is the mouth..still alive though...i dont pay much about my balanos...
the dendros even i only feed once a week it doesnt show any recession...

is the tentacles clearish pink?

The tentacles are perfectly clear, no color. Like Michael said though, we have been trying to research this issue, and I'm still not sure if balanos actually bud. These are definately shooting off babies, and that might be the deciding factor. I feed them every other day or two and can definately see some new growth.
they look balanos to me..:)i have dendros and balanos....i only feed them once-twice a week...but my balanos receded in the body only left now is the mouth..still alive though...i dont pay much about my balanos...
the dendros even i only feed once a week it doesnt show any recession...

is the tentacles clearish pink?

If people think these are truly Balanophyllia, it's amazing I havn't gotten rid of them yet! I need to make more space! Check out my other thread, I am getting rid of most of them for far less than half of retail.

i got my balano for $14. I did not realize they when for a ton more until I started looking into them. I have seen them sell for 35 per head. mine has about 10.

If people think these are truly Balanophyllia, it's amazing I havn't gotten rid of them yet! I need to make more space! Check out my other thread, I am getting rid of most of them for far less than half of retail.

The tentacles are perfectly clear, no color. Like Michael said though, we have been trying to research this issue, and I'm still not sure if balanos actually bud. These are definately shooting off babies, and that might be the deciding factor. I feed them every other day or two and can definately see some new growth.

The balanos we've had the shop forever had been budding, thats for sure. Seems to be similar to what dendros and sun corals do. Little heads showing up between or off the side of the bigger polyps. I actually just fragged up this colony pictured, and there are several little new buds growing off the main heads..

Edit: I should say they are growing off of the tissue, at the base of the main polyps. Not really off the tall stalks like dendros do.

Polyps2_4951.jpg

Last edited:
That is definately the exact kind and color that I have! Cool deal. Yeah mine are doing the same thing, where all the cracks between large polyps started showing tiny bumps with tentacles, and they are now fairly mature polyps. The flesh is also encrusting further over the base of the rock and will probably shoot off more heads soon. Something about this particular corner of my tank makes them super happy. They stay out 90% of the day and get huge at night. Just got a nice little Black Sun Coral from Returnofsid as well, and it is enjoying the same space.
The balanos we've had the shop forever had been budding, thats for sure. Seems to be similar to what dendros and sun corals do. Little heads showing up between or off the side of the bigger polyps. I actually just fragged up this colony pictured, and there are several little new buds growing off the main heads..

Edit: I should say they are growing off of the tissue, at the base of the main polyps. Not really off the tall stalks like dendros do.

Polyps2_4951.jpg

Back