Ball valve question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Do ball valves like you would buy from home depot close completely and seal for no drips?

I want to add a bulk head and valve to the bottom of a 55g drum, for water changes.

I can't give you a for sure answer, but I don't think they'd leak. One idea is to use a threaded ball valve and put a screw cap w/ some plumbers tape on it just to be sure

I've seen them used recently to isolate RO and salt mix storage tanks, I believe similar to what you want to do, with no leaks. Not completely relevant, but we use them seal plastic gas cans for our MX bikes too.

Savko & the ones at lowes or home depot are all good, i don't think it is worth the extra cost, IMO the quality is the same. I used both many years, think about what you get at HD you put 90/100 psi home water pressure and they last.

Cool guys, thanks for all the insight. I thought I'd heard somewhere once that a ball valve should onlly be inline and not at the end of a hose or pipe because some water would sneak by.

Glad to hear it will work, once my garage is warm enough, action time.

These are the first pictures I have ever posted here - so please bear with me...

You should be fine with the ball valves, but they are not perfect. I'm not sure how old the one is on my water container, but as you can see it's holding back over 100 gallons of water with only a few drops leaking out... 50 gals should be easier to hold back.

The other picture is a Home Depot valve that is doing a good job holding the water, but I never would have expected that I could break off part of the handle. I was in a hurry and I was absolutely positive which way I needed to turn the handle. Obviously I was wrong and broke it.:(

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I used one on my storage tank & used a threaded plug just to be extra safe but it never leaked.

I have one on mine, nothing leaked from the valve itself and I only had a pinpoint leak where the bulkhead was so I just siliconed around it and was good to go :)

IMG_1765.jpg

Yes, they stop all flow. I use them on alot of plumbing at home to stop flow when I work on stuff and on my RO unit.

Back