Ballast wiring

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capnjack

Need some wiring help, bought a set of diy power compacts 260 watts, 4 bulb set-up from a friend of mine they have 2 ballast they are white no identifacation on them or anything wires to the pc lights were already hooked up, the only problem on the power hook up is that both wires are red and there were no switches he just had them hooked up directly to a power cord, would anyone no the correct way to hook these up Thanks

There was no number or anything I could find on it, they are just white ballast seems like there was a wiring diagram attached but it was gone

So your saying all you have is two red wires?
So you absolute see no White, Black & green as used for A/C power normally?
If you have a camera take good pictures first & post them for me to see what you have.

If so, then use a power strip & wire nut one red to one of the cord for each red. Then plug it into the power strip. If you have a GFCI then plug the power strip into that & then turn it on.

The two red wires should be opposite of all of the other wires on that ballast.
If not then your chancing a short, may trip the power strip, breaker at the panel etc. so be careful.

I'll see if I can get a picture up, but that is all comming out for power is 2 red wires he had them wired to a power cord when he showed them to me plugged them in and they worked but when I took the plug off when I put them in the canopy I built did'nt pay attention how he had them on because I was going to put switches on them anyway, but the vho's I put in worked perfect then again the wires on that ballast was normal blk. wht. and green.

ballast

scooterman, I have a followup question, How many volts comes off the load side of a t-5 ballast? HO 2 lamp unit,
Thanks.
T.:?:

scooterman, I have a followup question, How many volts comes off the load side of a t-5 ballast? HO 2 lamp unit,
Thanks.
T.:?:

I haven't checked into that but I'm sure it is fairly high, you may find some of that information on the manufacturer data sheets on that particular ballast. Sorry no help.:(

I ask that because I see that ballast problems are very common and I really want everyone to be aware of the high voltage. I know that amps is a better judge of killing power, but so is blowing meters.
Thanks,
T.

Black white and maybe green are for the power cord. The red wires out the other end are all "hot" and usually another wire out, yellow, is common. If you want a switch it needs to be in the power cord end. You should check a wiring diagram on the bulbs and the ballast for proper configuration

please use "heat shrink but slices"
They put the wire together and also when you melt the heat shrink thees just a touch of "goo" that comes out the ends that way you know they are water proof!

They put the wire together and also when you melt the heat shrink thees just a touch of "goo" that comes out the ends that way you know they are water proof!

That's a good bit of advise.:D
T.

WOW thanks, that is brilliant. I even have some, yet never thought of using it on the tank. Have always used solder and lots of electrical tape and superglue. (silicone would have been better. Shring tube, duh is right, The dude abides!

Currently wiring up a small pair of lumenbrights for my little 175s http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1167

Last edited:
Yep. I'll be using these on my two 250 MH and my HO T-5s in my hood over the 125g!
Safety first my friends!!
And sirry those are butt SPLICES not slices. LOL

Back