ballast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jagid1

Sorry about the misplaced post, I am too newb to post in the for sale forums. does anybody know where I might be able to find a 120v 150 mh ballast.... for cheap?????

Again, sorry about posting this in the general forum. Any pointers in the right direction would be peachy.

-james

150w ballast should be readily available at a local hardware store. or like home depot or lowes....

your looking for a 150w magnetic or electronic ballast

ether way it needs to be a HID ballast... so take a look around im sure you can find one not to far

thanks

Thanks.

I wandered through the local Home Despot.... and found that mine at least was seriously lacking in the ballast department. I will take another crack at it, perhaps I asked the wrong guy for help.

thanks again

-james

first part is to figure out what type of ballast it is.. mag or elc then start looking.. you have a doubled ended HQI or screw in mogal?

not to be mean... but im sorry to hear this... this is the norm for the ebay reef shoppers i call em... quility comes with a price in the reef tank world.

on the other hand.... and the good note to this is you should eazly be able to find a ballast....
I dont think home depot is gonna carrie somethng like this.. but the ballast that fires a out door flood light (of this style) HQI or double ended High intensity discharge wull do you the same thing...

other wise check out blueline.. I have not one but ive never hurd anything bad about that.. and its what i would by if i had the problem

Im running a current sunpod... and the ballasts I know dont last for ever...

the wireing is all the same.. In the US, the connectors the plugs the sockets are all of the quality question

icecap.
sungrow systems
blueline
sunlight

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight...ht_Supply_Inc-SL1171-FILTACBAMHHFMB-0-vi.html

hmm. I bought that pendant for a reason. I could afford it, and I can afford to replace it, I even know how to run a soldering iron if need be.

I understand that some people seem to think that if you dont drop a couple thousand dollars into this hobby, then you arent doing it right, but whatever happened to people participating in a hobby because they just enjoy it?

I personally know people (and at least one LFS) that have tanks with t8 or t12 bulbs hard wired (no sockets, just bulbs, wires, and ballasts)with the connections covered with that dip-it acrylic that is used to rubberize the handles on pliers). Its not pretty, but it works for them.

Sorry about the rant... I have a tight budget for this project, and I didnt mean to get waylaid by the first few words of your post.

Thank you for the information about ballasts.

-james

ah dont get me wrong... you dont have to do it by the book.... but 10 years from now if you want to have a solid platform to stand on you need to build it right...

Ive done lots of things like that.

check this out

Picture3002725.jpg

Picture3000697.jpg

Picture3001016.jpg

some old shots over the years.

for now you have some kind of light over the tank right?

:) i dont have a tank up at all yet. I was trying to "aim at" getting it right (as well as I could within my budget) before I set up a tank at all.

however I might have been waylaid (waylayed??).. the wife has decided that nano cubes are "pretty"........

-James

Back