Barbie's 120 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Barbie

Fishaholic
OK, so every time I set up a reef tank I intend to take pictures and update constantly to show growth and the changes it goes through. I have good intentions, but it just doesn't usually happen for some reason :badgrin:. I've set the 120 up in our basement as the reef for me to move most of my SPS corals into and I did manage to take pictures of it with no corals, and as I've started filling it. Now if I can just keep with it!

This was the tank the day before I started adding corals on 8/23/08. (You can click on the pics for larger versions.)

This was it the next day with SPS frags I had purchased from Brandy that they so kindly held for longer than I expected to need them to!

This is it today, after I added the contents of my 40 breeder SPS tank.

It has a single 3/4 inch seaswirl on a Pan World return pump for about 1200 gph. I added two eductors to the outer returns pointed down to keep stuff from settling and to give cross current to the sea swirl. I might add a Koralia on the back to drive straight down to keep detritus from settling, if it's needed. There is about 160 pounds of live rock, bare bottom set on tonga branch so I can blow out any detritus or siphon it out. The lighting is 2 250 watt HQI 20k halides, with 2 54 watt actinic HOT5. There is a 25 gallon refugium that will be plumbed into the system this week, along with a Euro Reef recirculating protein skimmer. It has a small Calcium Reactor running at the moment to test drive it, and eventually it will have an auto top off set to run on a rheostat and timer to dose through a kalk reactor.

The only fish in it so far are a pair of black ocellaris clowns. I'm wrestling over ventralis anthias or purple tile gobies. I had my heart set on the anthias until I got in those gobies. If they weren't so suicidal I'd have already brought them home! The mandarin from the 75 gallon is going to get a girlfriend, and the blue assessor is going to go in there with a shrimp assortment at some point.

Please be gentle. I can't believe I've been able to get as much done on it as I have this summer. I'm very happy with the layout. Once I add the clams and decide if any of the duncans or acans are going into this tank or not, I should be totally done messing with it. It will be neat to watch it grow, I hope. If I can only keep updating the pictures as it goes!

Barbie

Last edited:
wow barb nice to se i promise next time out to see u ..sorry ben busy at work p.m. me some good fish deals for my 125gl

Thanks guys :). I think it actually looks like a big mound of rock without much "shape" but I wanted to maximize the surface to attach corals to and I had that awesome huge Marshall Island stuff to work with. It's quite impressive in person. I was amazed how full it looked after adding just the corals from a 40 gallon tank! Now if I can just be patient and let it all grow and fill in without stuffing more in there (once I add the clams, of course!) ;).

Barbie

LOL Krish! I know, I'm sorry, I've been a terrible slacker lately! Oh wait, no, I've just been swamped, but hey, I get an E for effort now, right? ;)

Barbie

you should do a accelerated growth diet...

Remember, nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank. Acceleratated growth for corals requires elevated levels of DOC's meaning accelerated growth for algea.......

Those are quite large "Frags" as you call them. Very nice.

The two green A. yongei "leprechaun" colonies in the pictures were some that Brandy was kind enough to sell me cheap because one was threatening her favorite, so it had to go ;). I practiced my sharing skills and let a friend have one and kept the other, hehe. The other "frags" were definitely a great deal from Brandy. I know they were working on starting to work on shipping corals, also. I was very happy with the corals and they went above and beyond to help me out and hold them until the tank was ready.

And Michael, I think I'm going to need more practice sharing before I start fragging! It's got a lot of filling in to do before I feel like I need to take some out :lol:. Well, unless I snap more things off trying to turn snails over or something stupid like that, hehe.

As an update, I decided to swap the bulbs out to 14k Coralife bulbs for more lumens. Got the light apart to discover one of the bulbs had a crack on the under side, of course. Now it looks awful with two different colors of light over it, but the new bulb is here, so that's my project for the night. I'm not sure I'm going to like these bulbs for color, but I'll just have to see after they get burned in. I know it looks like doodie right now next to the 20k! There's already a ton of coralline algae dots starting on the bottom and overflows. I can see branches on the corals already starting to fork. Now to get that refugium and skimmer plumbed! The skimmer dimensionally should fit in the sump, but one elbow sticks out about 1/2" farther than will slip in there. External ghetto skimmer it is, hehe. I had my heart set on using the stupid thing!

At least with the 14k bulbs I should be able to get pictures of the corals that I don't have to correct so far. Even with custom white balance set for the tank, those blue bulbs just were more than it could correct for. I know it looks about twice as bright visually on the new bulb half!

Barbie

Snapping off things trying to get to snails!!

Holy cow! What kind of snails do you guys and gals have over there in Spokane? Those suckers must have a super death grip on the rocks huh? :lol:

I wish it was because they were mutant ninja snails. I'm usually just trying to rescue the stupid things for letting go when they shouldn't ;). That's actually something nice with the bare bottom at least, when they fall off, the sea swirl blows them up against something solid most of the time, hehe.

Barbie

Thats funny and oh so true about the stupid falling snails. I actually use a rusty old coat hanger that Ive straightend out to upright them. Then I dont have to get my whole arm wet when im heading off to work. Its one of my most useful DIY reefing tools.

Back