Barbie's 37 gallon cube (dialup beware!)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Barbie

Fishaholic
I just recently set up a new reef tank. I haven't had one up in 3 or 4 years, so this has been a fun step for me to get back into it. The 37 is going to stay a tank for SPS and I have a 75 full of cured live rock, just waiting for a sump/refugium so it can become a softie haven.

The 37 gallon has a 150 watt 20,000k DE HQI pendant over it. A Remora Pro Skimmer with the Mag 3 and prefilter/bubble trap box does the skimming. A dsb, 60 or so pounds of live rock, and a Rio 1700 with a SCWD behind the rocks for constant alternating flow. A MaxiJet in a front corner is keeping the sand clear at the front of the tank for now. I'm looking into other options for current at the moment.

I sort of fell into a deal on a bunch of frags (thanks again Brian) a bit early in the tanks life, and then had a trip to Boston, so I was gone for a couple weeks. All in all, the tank did great! I've taken a few pictures along the way, but I'll just post the ones I took a few days ago for now. I got a new camera, so I'm also test driving it ;).

Any and all input is appreciated. The softies won't be staying in here long term, remember ;).

The tank (with the old camera):

tank717.jpg

With the new one:

tank718.jpg

And inhabitants:

cardinal.jpg

orangericordea.jpg

Barbie

(the slimer in this picture was too high in the tank during my vacation, he's been moved down and is much happier and returning to normal color)
sps7.jpg

sps10.jpg

sps11.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Barbie

Great photos, and wonderful tanks. How about me and you setting up the "Dream House" and moving all our tanks to there ;) :lol:

Ken

That depends, do you have the pink corvette? I've got the jeep now, so that would make it an upgrade! hehe

I think I'd be hard pressed to find a hubby with more understanding about my fish obsession than the current one, truth be known ;). Thanks for the offer though! Thanks for the kind words also. The tank has a long way to go, but it's definitely going good so far!

Brian, I'd be happy to help you out by taking any more coral you need to get rid of! :p

Barbie

Last edited:
:lol: The corvette would be a piece of cake, I thought you would want some rare SPS!!! :razz:

Nope, I couldn't trade my better half in either, she's the best thing since protein skimmers. :D

Ken

OK, took a few more pictures to add. Bought trimma gobies and a purple acro from Kevin the other day. The gobies have finally decided the cardinals aren't as scary as they look ;).

trimma.jpg

purpleacro.jpg

Barbie

It's a Canon Digital Rebel. Once I can afford lenses, and I can remember enough from those two years of photography in high school, I might actually get a bit dangerous with it! Who knows, maybe I could even shoot stuff in manual! hehe.

The gobies are doing great now. They come right out front and beg with the cardinals. I really enjoy them. Thanks again!

Barbie

I took a few more pictures that you can see Here. The frags from the conference are starting to color up now. I think I'm addicted. Seriously considering buying a 250 watt pendant so I can get more light over them ;).

Barbie

Uhhh, welll..... I sort of went on vacation and it had been happy where it was, but evidently decided to move after I left....

The rio took a perfectly nice 3" anemone and made it 3 itty bitty ones. I KNOW not to leave any pumps uncovered, it was all just a matter of bad timing and taking on too much at once. I was amazed any of them lived through it all, to be honest. Definitely not a recommended fragging method!

I took the DSB out of the tank last week, and tore heck out of everything in the process. The poor frags aren't sure just what color they want to turn, but hopefully after I add the last of the new frags from Erik and get everything glued down, they'll settle in and color back up. Some have better color after it all, some more brown, but they're all polyping and encrusting down well, so I have high hopes. The clam is showing good growth along it's mantle and got to stay on his rock through the process, so hopefully I got lucky ;).

Barbie

The tank is still new enough that I figured if I was going to do it, I should do it now. I had the 75 gallon LPS tank set up bare bottom, as I was going to try one of each this time (I've had good luck with both ways in the past, but not at the same time). After reading Anthony's latest post about them, I realized I'd done it completely backwards for the corals best interest, so I decided to pull it out and move it into the 75. Not a chore I want to do again real soon, but it's done now and my peanut and spaghetti worms are happily colonizing in the 75 instead. I'll have to tell you in 6 months whether it was all a good idea I guess ;). I do quite a few water changes, so I have just never really had trouble with my sand beds, and I do like the look of them. We'll see if it was a good idea, I'm sure!

Barbie

Here's a few updated pictures of the tank ;).

There are a few other more recent pictures Here if you want to browse :). Maybe someday I'll get in and figure out how to use this camera!

Barbie

Very Nice shots!

Thanks for sharing Barbie. That monster 37 has really taken off since Sherri & I saw it:eek: I really like the little Gobies you got from Kevin:)

Nice Barbie! Your tank is looking great! Is that the deflector thingy on you maxi jet 1200 in your second pic?

Back