• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Barrier Reef's 7th Anniversary Sale - With Guest Dana Riddle!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
Barrier Reef's 7th Anniversary Sale

Save the dates-

Saturday November 2nd 9AM-6PM - Sunday November 3rd from 11AM-5PM

This year's event is going to blow the doors off everything we've done in the past!

• Dana Riddle, MASNA's 2011 Aquarist of the year, coral researcher, speaker and author will be presenting at a small banquet dinner we are hosting as well as making a guest appearance on Saturday the 2nd to visit with you all and talk LED lighting or anything reef related. He is also bringing his Li-Cor PAR meter, portable spectrometer, and Chlorophyll meter to run some tests on our lighting and tanks. More info to follow regarding the banquet dinner and presentation.
  • The 100 gift bags are back!
  • The free raffle is shaping up to be even better than in the past.
  • There is also going to be 5 (yes 5!) deluxe gift bags being raffled off. Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet, iPod Nano, pair of Seahawk tickets, Custom Tuned Evergrow IT2040 LED, and a whole host of other prizes will be sorted amongst these 5 gift bags!
  • All of this along with the incredible discounts and door busters we always offer.

Follow this thread or our Facebook page for more details. We will post them as they are available.

Wow, barrier really knows how to PARTY ,sounds like an awesome event in the works, cannot wait, will start saving some Benjies lol

You do not need a ticket to meet Dana at the sale on Saturday Nov 2 but the dinner and presentation will require a ticket. These are going to be extremely limited as we are covering most of the dinner and speaker costs. We will post sometime next week about when the tickets will go on sale through our website. I imagine this will be a lot like getting Seahawks single game tickets. Sold out within minutes. Anyone interested please watch this thread closely.

Meet Dana Riddle​

Dana Riddle
I’ve had a fascination with marine life since seeing a rocky, Maine tidepool during childhood and began keeping saltwater fish in 1965. I made the transition to reef aquaria when George Schmitt published his articles in Freshwater and Marine Aquariums in the 1980s. There wasn’t much information in those days and my success in maintaining live corals was limited. Information slowly surfaced but was most was hype for ineffective products. Instead of buying more acrylic reactors for $400 a pop, I invested $1,500 in a Li-Cor PAR meter in order to unlock some of the mysteries of lighting, and so it went.
Today my small coral lab in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii has over $100,000 of equipment, including a chlorophyll meter, electronic water velocity meter, PAM fluorometers, fiber optic spectrometers and standard items usually found in a wet laboratory. Reef observations are easy and convenient since the lab is only 150 feet from a natural reef. Results of research conducted with this equipment has been published in Advanced Aquarist, Aquarium Frontiers, Coral Science, Koralle, Aquarium Fish, Reef Aquarium Annual, FAMA, SeaScope, Breeders’ Registry, MASNA newsletter, reefs.com, Marine Fish Monthly and others. I also wrote the book The Captive Reef in the mid-1990’s.
I have had the honor of making over 60 presentations at the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA), the International Marine Aquarium Conference (IMAC), regional conferences and marine aquarium societies from New York’s Brooklyn Aquarium Society to Orange County’s Southern California Marine Aquarium Society. I was greatly honored and humbled when I received MASNA’s Aquarist of the Year in 2011 at the MACNA conference in Des Moines, Iowa.

Presentation Details
Title: In Search of the Perfect Lamp
Many reef aquarists have been making the transition from metal halide and fluorescent lamps to light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Many of the old rules for lighting (such as watts-per-gallon) no longer apply, and even the use of PAR meters and recommended light intensities must be re-evaluated. This presentation will examine the reactions of corals collected in a shallow tidepool and exposed to LED light. Analyses were made with instruments including a chlorophyll meter, photosynthesis meter (PAM fluorometer), and others.
I’ll gladly answer questions on other topics I’ve extensively researched: Reef aquarium water chemistry and water testing, coral coloration, types of zooxanthellae, importance of water motion in the reef aquarium and how to create it.

I will be putting the tickets to the Banquet Dinner at Koral Bar & Kitchen up for sale on Friday October 4th at 10AM. There will be a section on our website titled Anniversary Sale. You can purchase 1 ticket there. Please do not purchase more than 1 or we will refund you for any tickets beyond that 1. I will post the link to the Anniversary Sale category Friday morning as well but the ticket item will not be displayed until 10AM. Remember these are extremely limited.

I've put so much into the planning of this dinner I forgot that more specific details were needed in the public postings. Tickets are $30. Its a dinner we are hosting the night before our Anniversary Sale on Nov. 1st at 6:pM. Dana Riddle has been kind enough to agree to come and do a presentation on lighting. He will also be at our sale on Saturday Nov 2nd to mingle with folks and talk reef aquariums. We are spending a lot more than $30 a head on the dinner/presentation which is why the seating is so limited. The ticket includes a $65 dinner, the presentation, and your Anniversary Sale gift bag without risking not getting one at the sale. Cash bar though. Koral Bar & Kitchen is in Bellevue on the first floor of the Bellevue Hyatt.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear more about the sale and will definitely be trying to get a banquet ticket. It sounds like a really fun night!

Looking forward to it! I was just reading a few of his articles right before all of this was announced. Had I known he had a $100,000 lab in Kona, I would have crashed his lab when I was out there a few weeks ago. I'm sure he would have appreciated a stranger showing up spontaneously. :) Thanks Barrier for the excellent event!

Looking forward to it! I was just reading a few of his articles right before all of this was announced. Had I known he had a $100,000 lab in Kona, I would have crashed his lab when I was out there a few weeks ago. I'm sure he would have appreciated a stranger showing up spontaneously. :) Thanks Barrier for the excellent event!

Congrats on getting a ticket. As of 10:15 I think there are 2 left. Its going to be a fun night!

Wow, I figured it would sell out pretty quickly. Glad I got my order in right away!

Awesome! All tickets have been sold. Thanks everyone! Remember, you can still meet and chat with Dana Riddle during day one of the Anniversary Sale on Saturday Nov. 2nd.

Last edited:
Bummer I just caught this thread! I will definitely be there on the 2nd for some goodies for the new 75! You guys are awesome should be a fun weekend!

OKey Doke, we've been in suspense long enough... lol All Livestock 30% off? Reef Crystals 44.95? Tunze products 20% off? Hey I'm just trying to be helpful lol...

Lol...ok ok I'll see what I can leak out. I'll get started on the raffle info now and see how much time I have left for specials.

Back