Base rock question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

I have about 100 lbs of base rock that was just sitting outside in a box. I was thinking about adding it to my 70. It has been soaking in water since last night. Would it be ok just to put it in or is there something else that I should do?
Thanks!:D

Heres what I did.
#1 Rinse the rock in the driveway with the hose. (do a good job spraying it off to knock anything loose)

#2 Toss it in a tub of saltwater with a pump to move water and a heater

#3 Smell it in a week, and if its not smelling nasty, toss it in!

Heres what I did.
#1 Rinse the rock in the driveway with the hose. (do a good job spraying it off to knock anything loose)

#2 Toss it in a tub of saltwater with a pump to move water and a heater

#3 Smell it in a week, and if its not smelling nasty, toss it in!

it also might not hurt to test the water for ammonia, to assure there's no stuff rotting deep inside the rock that could cause a problem..

I am confused, someone told me what he did in his FO tank in Fla. was rotated all dead rock/corals. 8 weeks in the sun then back into the tank taking out anything growing algae.
What I am curious about is how "live" can base rock become as opposed to rock that has just some die off? I think I read that base rock can never really become live "live" rock even though it can be colonized by bacteria. Am I way off base?

Help please!

I have heard of people drying rock out to cure. but personaly dont agree because by drying the rock out you kill every thing inside so the rock is "dead" not live defeating the purpose. as to the base rock being live rock, base rock is usualy found in or under sand so its full of sut and usually no colors or organisms. but fear not any rock given enough time can become live . hope this helps.

Back