base rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ok... there are some rocks selling in my LFS. the people in the store told me that it's a base rocks. but those rocks is out of the water. it's dry. so.. can i still use these rocks to put in my tank and let the coral grow over it?

Sunhwa most folks use LR as a source of biological filtration. Base rock will not do that for you unless you have LR that is already seeded and alive. If you have some of that it will seed the base rock and the base rock will become LR.
In regards to coral growing on it surface, yes coral will grow over most surfaces including the glass or acrylic of the tank itself.

Mike

also dont be confused with "live" base rock and "dead" base rock. when buying online or even at a lfs u may see that they have "live" base rock that they sell for less then the regular live rock. usually this just means that is was once base rock that is now "live" but it usually doesnt possess the porous look of true live rock.

No problem. You can seed any porous material, if you are patient enough (lots of people use man-made rock from cement and aragonite, often called aragocrete).

Last edited:
most of the base rock that stores sell isn't that porous. There was a thread within a week ago about were to buy good base rock. It was cheap even shipped.

Back