Basic Plumbing Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cascamia

I am new to plumbing and I am setting up a closed loop system with a pump pushing water through an Ocean Clear canister. I would like to plumb my system with 3/4" pipe, and would like to hook a Hydor Eth Heater inline. The problem is is that the Hydor has 5/8" inlets/outlets and thus will cut down flow. I wanted to get an idea of if anyone knows how much flow I would lose with that reduction. I could hook up a Lifegard Inline heater module, but I am a little nervous about leaking problems and I have been real happy with other Hydor Eths I have had. Please let me know if this question should have been posted in a different forum.
thanks
Kypros

What size pump are you running?? Also, are you depending on this pump running through the canister etc for your primary source of flow? I'm not sure if you'd really lose any flow with a reduction in plumbing as the plumbing sizes aren't a huge difference. If you notice anything, I'd think you may possibly notice an increase in velocity by slightly stepping down a plumbing size...Just like sticking your finger slightly in the end of a running hose of water. I guess if you give us a bit more info on the pump size, what it has for inlets and outlets, it would better give us an idea as to what to suggest. Although I'm not that familiar with the canister you plan to use, keep in mind that most canister have a certain flow rating and also, the media you use in the canister can also be affected by flow (eg phosban media would require significantly less flow passing through it than carbon) so I'd take all of that into consideration. If flow is your primary goal, then I'd maybe look into a closed loop or some powerheads to achieve it than maybe beating up yourself over tieing everything through a canister filter which may be limited. Just a thought :)

Actually, I wouldnt call this a basic question. Personally, I wouldnt recommend plumbing anything into a CL unless absolutely necessary. I would never recommend downsizing plumbing on a pump unless the manufacturer says its OK. AFAIK no manufacturer out there says it is.
I recently remove a Mag 18( rated1300GPH@6' head (3/4x3/4"" in/out)) over sized plumbing, with a Genx pressure rated pump (rated 1000GPH@6"head(1"x1" in/out)) both with a one inch return. The genX pushes nearly twice the volume. I would NOT recommend donwnsizing unless its your last option I would recommend runnign two pumps, a big one and a small one. One for circulation, and one for a utility pump, then when its time for cleaning, your tank still has circulation. ;)

Last edited:
good information, I am just getting into this. I have a Gen X rated at 1190 GPH with 3/4" inlet/outlet. The Ocean Clear canister says it requires a pump rated at 800-1200 gph. I am trying to keep it simple - cloed loop system - its not a salt water tank, I simply want more flow on a freshwater planted tank than the normal canister filters have. Perhaps its better to plump in a 3/4" heater module so as to not downsize the pipe?

Actually, I wouldnt call this a basic question. Personally, I wouldnt recommend plumbing anything into a CL unless absolutely necessary. I would never recommend downsizing plumbing on a pump unless the manufacturer says its OK. AFAIK no manufacturer out there says it is.
I recently remove a Mag 18( rated1300GPH@6' head (3/4x3/4"" in/out)) over sized plumbing, with a Genx pressure rated pump (rated 1000GPH@6"head(1"x1" in/out)) both with a one inch return. The genX pushes nearly twice the volume. I would NOT recommend donwnsizing unless its your last option I would recommend runnign two pumps, a big one and a small one. One for circulation, and one for a utility pump, then when its time for cleaning, your tank still has circulation. ;)

Back