Basket Starfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stuntkiteflyer

Go fly a kite
While traveling through Oregon I stopped at a LFS and found what I was told was a basket starfish. I spent a good half-an-hour asking questions about it. How to feed it, take care of it, requirements, everything I could think of. Come to find out when I get home from my books that it is near impossible to take care of them. I feel horrid for supporting the sale of this animal when it sounds like it shouldn't be in tanks, so I do take responsibility.

I was wondering if anyone has advice or has kept one of these sucessfully?! I have it now, and I want to try the best I can. I have people looking into it for me, but anything anyone has to offer would be great.

He is in my reef aquarium 180 gallons. There is a pair of McCosters, one blue cromis, two clown fish, firefish, yasha hasa goby, cleaner goby, and a flame fin tang.

Thanks for anything!
Ashley

They are heavy filter feeders and from what I've read, fairly difficult to maintain unless you have really large system. I think they rate up there with flame scallops in survivability.

First of all....you have a feather starfish (crinoid) not a basket starfish. This is a basket starfish:

http://www.oregonreef.com/images/photos/cold_basket and horse.jpg

I've kept both for years....although, the cold water varieties. The feather starfish are nocturnal filter feeders that require strong flow and very small particular food like rotifers or baby brine shrimp.....even cyclopeeze is probably too large. Because of this food requirement, they are very hard to keep in a traditional reef that is concerned with nutient control. I attribute my success with them to the huge feedings that come with cold water reef keeping. Crinoids only do well in heavily fed non photosynthetic tanks.

You can see my yellow feather starfish in this pic:

http://www.oregonreef.com/images/photos/cold_end view.jpg

Which LFS did you get him from ???

Last edited:
wow didnt think its been this long but in two days it will be 4 months for me :) and spot feed with phto or zoo planton with like a turkey baster or something. Theres a guy who was on my thread who had it for 5 years. So its just how you take care of them thats all there not impossible i also have a flame scallop for 6 months now.

You made mention that yours moves night/day. Mine however is fully open in the day in direct light. Should I move him?

no dont move him because that will only cause undo stress for him. mne does move in the day but not like he does at night time. I think it might have been how my lighting was placed about my tank but i have since moved my lighting higher up and he is finding his spot. or maybe one i my fish my think its a tasty treat haha. who knows just let him be and he will find the spot the has the best current flow. mine is right in the middle of the tank were two powerheads flows meet. He likes it there cause thats basically where all the water goes and he gets to filter everything out the best.

By no means is 4-6mos a success story with these guys. 5yrs is very rare, but you already have the lil guy so give him your all and follow Steve's advice.

yes 4-5 months is not a success story but when others say 2 weeks tops and its been way over that i like it more :) and mine is already growning some arms back now so i know hes doing well

From my understanding they die a very slow death. Meaning that they can be dieing for months before you notice. Kind of like a starving mandarin. However, the fact that it's growing some arms back is a good sign.

Back