bb tanks pics, lets see them

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i have been bb for a good while, and still havent gotten where i want to be, live stock great, but still fighting green tough hair algea, just on a few rocks, just added more water movement, to see if thats helps with dead spots.

Also, I sometimes run into this problem with hair algae. I have noticed that no critter really likes the long stuff as far as most cleaners go.(sea hair) I have taken a old toothbrush and scrubbed the rock while it was still in the tank. Sometimes this takes a couple of times and some screen cleaning. I have noticed that after a good scrubbing I see more cleaners and fish picking at the area and I have had less return of the hair algae. I have kept tanks with tap water and RO/DI. Also consider how old your lights are. How long between water changes. also, make sure you are not over feeding your tank. Mabe it is still cycling, I did not see how long you had the tank setup for.
Don't give up, it seems to come on fast and go away very, very slowly :)

Rodi use the toothbrush and your hands to get it out then do a water change and suck the rest up. Manual removal is by far the best way IMO. Also blow your rocks off every other day with a turkey baster

Couple quick questions.
Are you using RO/DI water? Have you checked your phosphates? Have you tried using a commercial or DIY phosphate reactor. Was this LR in a previous tank? If so, check out this artcle on Reekeeping Online Magazine. Probably a worst case scenario but something I had never considered.

Hope this helps.
yes on the Ro/Di, no on the reactor. and the lr was all new, when i had cc

Also, I sometimes run into this problem with hair algae. I have noticed that no critter really likes the long stuff as far as most cleaners go.(sea hair) I have taken a old toothbrush and scrubbed the rock while it was still in the tank. Sometimes this takes a couple of times and some screen cleaning. I have noticed that after a good scrubbing I see more cleaners and fish picking at the area and I have had less return of the hair algae. I have kept tanks with tap water and RO/DI. Also consider how old your lights are. How long between water changes. also, make sure you are not over feeding your tank. Mabe it is still cycling, I did not see how long you had the tank setup for.
Don't give up, it seems to come on fast and go away very, very slowly :)
i have been bb scence nov of 05...algae is just on certian rocks, thats y i added more water flow to help,i hope

get a good tang I dont have bb in my display but I do have a bb frag tank on the main system and I have 3 good tangs 2 lawnmowers a sea hare and also turbo snails any thing I take from the frag tank to the display is clean the next day

get a good tang I dont have bb in my display but I do have a bb frag tank on the main system and I have 3 good tangs 2 lawnmowers a sea hare and also turbo snails any thing I take from the frag tank to the display is clean the next day
i have a tang been i their a long time. tried a sea hare , must have gotten on the bottom and culdnt get up the 1 1/2 to where the lr was at and died after about 1 week

naturally, there is sand so naturally in a tank must contain sand

And Great White Sharks. Don't forget the naturally occurring sharks. Ooh, and seals! ;)

In all seriousness, while I prefer sand for many reasons, there are as many ways to make an artificial tank work as there are people to try it out. There are few "Have to's".

Cheers, Josh

Back